COLUMBUS, Ohio — As the season opener grows closer, the 2017 Ohio State depth chart is starting to take shape.
The Buckeyes return quite a few starters, but there are still a handful of position battles being waged during fall camp. Players are also fighting for backup spots that will determine not only who else might see the field this fall but also which players have the upper hand to replace a starter once they depart.
Projected 2017 Ohio State depth chart, offense
|QB||J.T. Barrett||Joe Burrow||Dwayne Haskins||Tate Martell|
|RB||Mike Weber||J.K. Dobbins||Antonio Williams||N/A|
|WR-X||Johnnie Dixon||Binjimen Victor||Jaylen Harris||Ellijah Gardiner|
|WR-Z||Terry McLaurin||Austin Mack||Trevon Grimes||N/A|
|H||Parris Campbell||K.J. Hill||Demario McCall||Eric Glover-Williams|
|TE||Marcus Baugh||Luke Farrell||Jake Hausmann||Rashod Berry|
|LT||Jamarco Jones||Branden Bowen||Joshua Alabi||N/A|
|LG||Michael Jordan||Wyatt Davis||Josh Myers||N/A|
|C||Billy Price||Brady Taylor||Jack Wohlabaugh||Gavin Cupp|
|RG||Malcolm Pridgeon||Matt Burrell||Demetrius Knox||N/A|
|RT||Isaiah Prince||Thayer Munford||Kevin Feder||N/A|
|K||Sean Nuernberger||Blake Haubeil||N/A||N/A|
- Pridgeon, Burrell and Knox are all firmly battling for the right guard spot. The guess here is that Pridgeon edges out the other two in a close race.
- The nature of wide receiver and its frequent substitutions essentially means that being first- or second-team is the same as being a starter. The top two listed at X, Z and H are the six players receivers coach Zach Smith said will see the majority of the playing time.
- Berry could be one who ultimately surprises people. He’s switched to tight end from defensive end and Urban Meyer said he anticipated Berry playing this season.
Projected 2017 Ohio State depth chart, defense
|DE||Tyquan Lewis||Jalyn Holmes||Chase Young|
|DE||Sam Hubbard||Nick Bosa||Jonathon Cooper|
|DT||Tracy Sprinkle||Jashon Cornell||Haskell Garrett|
|DT||Dre’Mont Jones||Robert Landers||Davon Hamilton|
|SLB||Dante Booker||Malik Harrison||Tuf Borland|
|MLB||Chris Worley||Justin Hilliard||N/A|
|WLB||Jerome Baker||Keandre Jones||Baron Browning|
|CB||Denzel Ward||Kendall Sheffield||Marcus Williamson|
|CB||Damon Arnette||Jeffrey Okudah||Shaun Wade|
|S||Erick Smith||Jordan Fuller||Wayne Davis|
|S||Damon Webb||Isaiah Pryor||Jahsen Wint|
|P||Drue Chrisman||Jake Metzer||N/A|
- Everyone will play at defensive end, but Lewis and Hubbard should be the first on the field.
- Defensive tackle is in flux because of the suspension of Michael Hill, which appears to have thrust Sprinkle into a starting role alongside Jones instead of backing up Jones.
- Smith is the pick at safety for now in part because Fuller has been a little banged up. He was withheld from Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs wants to rotate players again, so a player like Sheffield might end up playing as many series as Ward and Arnette even if he doesn’t start.
The post Projecting the 2017 Ohio State football depth chart, fall camp edition appeared first on Land of 10.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.