Welcome to the Wednesday edition of our Oklahoma State DieHards morning roundup , where we take you through the b iggest head lines around Oklahoma State athletics .
Oklahoma State falls to No. 15 in College Football Playoff rankings
After a 62-52 loss to Oklahoma on Saturday, Oklahoma State fell to No. 15 in the new College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday. The Cowboys, No. 11 last week, likely saw their hopes of a playoff appearance disappear with the defeat.
Oklahoma State faces No. 21 Iowa State on Saturday. The Cowboys are still capable of making the Big 12 title game, though they will need some help. Oklahoma State needs to win out and for the loser of the Saturday Oklahoma-TCU game to lose one of its final two games.
QB Mason Rudolph semifinalist for Jason Witten Award
Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph is a semifinalist for the inaugural Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award. The award goes to the player best “exhibiting exceptional courage, integrity and sportsmanship both on and off the field.”
Rudolph was the only Big 12 player among the 20 semifinalists. The nation’s leader in passing yards, Rudolph is also active in the Stillwater, Okla., community.
Other headlines from the program:
- Coach Mike Gundy said he isn’t questioning offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich’s play calling .
- The high-scoring Bedlam game provoked many criticisms of Big 12 defenses, but TCU coach Gary Patterson said those critics don’t have to handle the challenge of facing Oklahoma and Oklahoma State’s powerful offenses.
- Five Cowboys made Pro Football Focus’ Big 12 Offensive Team of the Week .
- Linebacker Chad Whitener joked he could also play quarterback , a reference to Iowa State’s Joel Lanning playing both linebacker and quarterback this season.
Wrestling coach John Smith discusses upcoming season
It’s almost time for the greatest dynasty in sports to be on the mat in Gallagher-Iba Arena once again. Oklahoma State wrestling coach John Smith met with the media Tuesday to discuss the upcoming season, which begins Saturday against North Carolina. The dual will be in Albany, N.Y., as part of the Journeymen Fall Duals.
Smith discussed 125-pounder Nick Piccininni’s victory against reigning national champion Darian Cruz in the NWCA All-Star Classic, outlooks at different weight classes and how former Cowboys wrestler Coleman Scott has done as North Carolina’s coach.
Other headlines from the athletic department:
- The Cowgirls equestrian team’s meet against Texas A&M has been rescheduled for Nov. 19.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Linebacker Calvin Bundage
You all doubted me, doubt me now‼️ pic.twitter.com/u5pPBRjmsP
— Calvin Bundage (@CalvinBundage) November 8, 2017
Oklahoma State recruiting
— Oklahoma State FB (@CowboyFB_Elite) November 7, 2017
Miss a recent edition of the morning roundup? Check out our previous editions .
The post Oklahoma State falls in playoff rankings; Mason Rudolph semifinalist for sportsmanship award appeared first on Diehards.