Welcome to the Friday edition of our Oklahoma DieHards morning roundup, where we take you through all the biggest headlines around Oklahoma athletics.
Big 12 title game
Oklahoma, third in the College Football Playoff rankings, takes on No. 11 TCU in the Big 12 Championship Game on Saturday. The Sooners hope to move to 12-1 and lock up a spot in a CFP semifinal on New Year’s Day.
The Sooners beat the Horned Frogs 38-20 on Nov. 11. TCU coach Gary Patterson is a master defensive tactician, however, and the Horned Frogs held Oklahoma without a point in the second half. It all comes to a head at 11:30 a.m. CT on FOX at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Oklahoma dominates award season
The Oklahoma Sooners took home multiple Big 12 conference awards Thursday afternoon.
Quarterback Baker Mayfield won Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year after posting 4,097 passing yards and an all-time single-season record 203.3 passer rating. It’s his second time winning the award.
Defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo earned co-Defensive player of the Year, and linebacker Kenneth Murray won co-Defensive Freshman of the Year after strong efforts. Orlando Brown won Offensive Lineman of the Year after dominating the conference. The Sooners won four of the 10 available awards, which led the conference.
Twelve starters are earned either first- or second-team All-Big 12. Eight others were honorable mention.
Other headlines from around the program:
- Even though Oklahoma isn’t technically in the CFP yet, Fox Sports analysts Joel Klatt and Robert Smith both picked the Sooners to win the national championship.
- Mayfield was not a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 team, which is selected by the league’s coaches.
- ESPN analysts gave Oklahoma a massive advantage in their Big 12 title game predictions. Jake Trotter projected a 15-point game, while Sam Khan assumed a 10-point victory.
Men’s basketball tops UNT
Oklahoma men’s basketball blew by North Texas 82-72 on Thursday night at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman. The Sooners moved to 5-1 with the victory over first-year Mean Green head coach Grant McCasland.
Trae Young had another sensational game with 32 points and 10 assists on just 18 shot attempts. He’s putting forward one of the best freshman seasons in recent high major memory. Khadeem Lattin was the only other Sooner in double digits with 12 points to go with 9 rebounds.
Other headlines around the program:
- Oklahoma wrestling participates in the Cliff Keen Invitational this weekend in Las Vegas. The Sooners are ranked No. 21.
- Men’s tennis announced its spring schedule on Thursday. The Sooners earned a spot in the Sweet 16 last season. Oklahoma opens with Creighton and Bryant on Jan. 13.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Defensive lineman Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Congratulations family, let’s keep it going! @Kmurrayy_9
— Obeezy (Oh-Bee-Zee) (@OgboOkoronkwo) December 1, 2017
Defensive line coach Calvin Thibodeaux
— calvin thibodeaux (@CoachThibbs) December 1, 2017
Miss a recent edition of the morning roundup? Check out all of our previous editions here.
The post Oklahoma preps for Big 12 title game, Sooners clean up awards appeared first on Diehards.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.