P.J. Fleck has made quick work of his first recruiting class as Minnesota football’s head coach.
He came to Minnesota from Western Michigan in December, and had less than two months to cobble together what ended up as the No. 59 class in the country in 2017. He’s not wasting any time filling up his second class.
Where Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class ranks
The Gophers are 34th in the 247Sports composite class rankings for 2018, and sixth in the Big Ten. In the Big Ten West, they trail only Wisconsin and Nebraska. All 23 of the Gophers’ commits are 3-star recruits on the 247Sports composite.
Latest news for Minnesota recruiting
Minnesota has not landed a commit in August. Fleck did give a walk-on kicker a scholarship using a T-shirt cannon, though.
Minnesota’s 2018 offers, by the numbers
Reported offers: 245
5-star offers: 1
4-star offers: 76
In-state recruits offered: 5
Ohio recruits offered: 30
Georgia recruits offered: 38
Texas recruits offered: 36
Florida recruits offered: 32
Minnesota football commits for 2018
- 3-star DT Elijah Teague, Chicago
- 3-star QB Brennan Armstrong, Shelby, Ohio
- 3-star CB Terrell Smith, Snellville, Ga.
- 3-star WR Jornell Manns, Mansfield, Ohio
- 3-star CB Benjamin Sapp III, Eden Prairie, Minn.
- 3-star RB Nolan Edmonds, Alpharetta, Ga.
- 3-star OLB Braelen Oliver, Douglasville, Ga.
- 3-star WR Rashod Bateman, Tifton, Ga.
- 3-star SDE Abi Okonji, Snellville, Ga.
- 3-star OG Austin Beier, Toledo, Ohio
- 3-star DT Logan Richter, Perham, Minn.
- 3-star CB Tyrik Henderson, Carol Stream, Ill.
- 3-star SDE Mayan Ahanotu, Tampa, Fla.
- 3-star OT Grant Norton, Camdenton, Mo.
- 3-star WR Erik Gibson, Detroit
- 3-star TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, St. Cloud, Minn.
- 3-star RB Bryce Williams, Sarasota, Fla.
- 3-star OLB Thomas Rush, Marysville, Ohio
- 3-star OT Jack York, Dallas, Texas
- 3-star CB Shamaur McDowell, Bradenton, Fla.
- 3-star ATH Josh Aune, Saint Paul, Minn.
- 3-star ILB Mariano Sori-Marin, Lenox, Ill.
- 3-star OC Nathan Boe, Lakeville, Minn.
Minnesota’s top 4 uncommitted targets
4-star WR Kamryn Babb, Saint Louis, Mo.
He’s going to be a long shot. Babb has long been considered an Ohio State lean, and Minnesota doesn’t seem to be a huge player in his recruitment. That said, Babb recently suffered an ACL injury, which could potentially hurt his status.
3-star WR Meechi Harris, Xenia, Ohio
Minnesota already has three receivers committed, but another one wouldn’t hurt. Minnesota trails Kentucky and Michigan State in Harris’ recruitment.
3-star safety Dallas Craddieth, Florissant, Mo.
It looks like the Gophers will have to overcome at least one other Big Ten team to get Craddieth. Iowa and Missouri appear to be his lead suitors at the moment.
3-star OG Jacob Isaia, Las Vegas
Isaia seems to be a Michigan State lean at the moment, but Minnesota’s in the mix there somewhere. Isaia attends powerhouse Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, so he’ll get no shortage of attention. He’s the No. 38 guard in the country, according to the 247Sports composite.
Minnesota’s 2018 commits: positional breakdown
- QB: 1
- RB 2
- WR: 3
- TE: 1
- OT: 2
- OG: 1
- OC: 1
- DE: 2
- DT: 2
- ILB: 1
- OLB: 2
- CB: 4
- ATH: 1
Minnesota’s 2018 commits: geographical breakdown
- Minnesota: 5
- Georgia: 5
- Ohio: 4
- Florida: 3
- Illinois: 3
- Michigan: 1
- Missouri: 1
- Texas: 1
The post Minnesota recruiting: Latest updates on Gophers’ 2018 class appeared first on Land of 10.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.