The Michigan recruiting class has 13 commitments for the 2018 recruiting class before the new December signing period.
Of the 13 commits, nine are 4-star recruits. But there will be some changes and additions as the signing period nears.
Below, find information and updates for Michigan’s 2018 recruiting class:
Where the Michigan recruiting class ranks
Michigan’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 15 nationally and No. 3 in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports. Of the Wolverines’ 13 commits, nine are 4-star recruits. The remaining four pledges are 3 stars.
Latest news for Michigan recruiting
The Wolverines picked up their most recent 2018 commitment, No. 13, on Wednesday, August 2. Florida DB Sammy Faustin (Naples, Fla.) committed to the Wolverines by announcing his commitment on Twitter.
Kevin Goheen wrote an update on Michigan commit Ryan Hayes, who gets compared to the Cincinnati Bengals’ Jake Fisher. Hayes plays for Traverse City (Mich.) West High School, of which Fisher is an alum.
Michigan 2018 offers by the numbers
Of the Wolverines’ 224 reported offers, 170 are to 4- or 5-star recruits.
- Reported offers: 224
- 5-star offers: 18
- 4-star offers: 152
- In-state recruits offered: 8
- Florida recruits offered: 54
- Georgia recruits offered: 29
- California recruits offered: 18
- Ohio recruits offered: 12
Michigan football commits for 2018
There are 13 Wolverines commitments.
- OG Emil Ekiyor, 4 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- CB Myles Sims, 4 stars, Atlanta (Ga.)
- OLB Otis Reese, 4 stars, Leesburg (Ga.)
- QB Joe Milton, 4 stars, Orlando (Fla.)
- SDE Aidan Hutchinson, 4 stars, Dearborn (Mich.)
- OLB Cameron McGrone, 4 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- OT Ryan Hayes, 4 stars, Traverse City (Mich.)
- OT Jalen Mayfield, 4 stars, Grand Rapids (Mich.)
- CB Gemon Green, 4 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- RB Christian Turner, 3 stars, Buford (Ga.)
- TE Luke Schoonmaker, 3 stars, Hamden (Conn.)
- CB Sammy Faustin, 3 stars, Naples (Fla.)
- CB German Green, 3 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
5 top uncommitted Michigan recruiting targets
Michigan will battle many other of the country’s top programs for the best 2018 recruits.
TE Mustapha Muhammad, 4 stars, Missouri City (Texas)
The Wolverines did not sign a tight end in 2017 and also lost Devin Asiasi to UCLA as a transfer. Luke Schoonmaker, a 3-star tight end, was an important get last week for Jim Harbaugh and staff. But Muhammad would be an even bigger commit, as he’s rated No. 5 nationally at his position by 247 Sports. A little after 1 a.m. ET on August 10, Muhammad included Michigan on a new top-5 list to celebrate his birthday. The Wolverines could use another tight end commit.
DT Tyler Friday, 4 stars, Ramsey (N.J.)
Michigan might be competing against in-state Rutgers for the 4-star defensive lineman. Rated as his state’s No. 2 recruit for 2018, Friday is still projected to land with the Wolverines and would be a huge pick up for DL coach Greg Mattison. But Rutgers will put up a fight. Friday is Michigan’s most likely New Jersey commit for 2018.
TE Luke Ford, 4 stars, Carterville (Ill.)
The former Arkansas commit has an impressive collection of offers, including Alabama, Texas and Georgia. But Steve Wiltfong of 247 Sports reports that Luke’s father considers the Wolverines as among the leaders for his son. Ford is ranked as the nation’s No. 2 tight end for 2018 and his No. 59 overall for all positions. Alabama is seen as the favorite.
OT Daniel Faalele, 3 stars, Bradenton (Fla.)
The IMG talent projected to start at left tackle has yet to play in a regulation football game. But the Australian has the size that intrigues college coaches. 247 Sports lists Faalele at 6-foot-8 and 400 pounds. Though Michigan is currently the favorite, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have also been among those to offer the giant lineman.
DT Michael Thompson, 4 stars, St. Louis
Missouri is the favorite here, but Thompson was at the Wolverines’ BBQ at the Big House a couple weeks ago. Thompson is nearly 300 pounds and is Missouri’s No. 2 recruit for 2018. Last month, Thompson included Michigan with Missouri, Ohio State, Alabama and LSU in his top-5 list. Expect this to be a Missouri-Michigan battle.
Michigan commitments position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commitments at each position.
- CB: 4 (Faustin, Gemon Green, German Green, Sims)
- OL: 3 (Ekiyor, Hayes, Mayfield)
- LB: 2 (McGrone, Reese)
- QB: 1 (Milton)
- DL: 1 (Hutchinson)
- RB: 1 (Turner)
- TE: 1 (Schoonmaker)
Geographical breakdown of Michigan football commits
Here is a breakdown of Michigan’s 2018 commits by state.
- Georgia: 3 (Reese, Sims, Turner)
- Michigan: 3 (Hayes, Hutchinson, Mayfield)
- Florida: 2 (Faustin, Milton)
- Indiana: 2 (Ekiyor, McGrone)
- Texas: 2 (Germon Green, German Green)
- Connecticut: 1 (Schoonmaker)
The post Michigan recruiting: Latest updates on Wolverines’ 2018 football class appeared first on Land of 10.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.