Michigan football is recruiting slightly below where it was in last year’s cycle, but the Wolverines are within striking distance of the nation’s elite.
Find the latest on Michigan football recruiting, plus a list of commits and targets, right here.
Where the Michigan recruiting class ranks
Michigan’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 14 nationally and No. 3 in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports. Of the Wolverines’ 15 commits, eight are 4-star recruits.
Latest news for Michigan recruiting
Michigan QB commit Joe Milton burned Miami fans online.
Emil Ekiyor, Michigan’s top-rated commit in the Class of 2018, flipped to Alabama.
Four-star TE Mustapha Muhammad is Michigan’s latest commit. He verbally joined the Wolverines’ 2018 class in October.
Michigan 2018 offers by the numbers
Of the Wolverines’ 234 reported offers, 170 are to 4- or 5-star recruits.
- Reported offers: 234
- 5-star offers: 18
- 4-star offers: 152
- In-state recruits offered: 8
- Florida recruits offered: 50
- Georgia recruits offered: 31
- California recruits offered: 18
- Ohio recruits offered: 12
Michigan football commits for 2018
Michigan has 15 commits:
- TE Mustapha Muhammad, 4 stars, Missouri City (Texas)
- CB Myles Sims, 4 stars, Atlanta
- OLB Otis Reese, 4 stars, Leesburg (Ga.)
- QB Joe Milton, 4 stars, Orlando (Fla.)
- SDE Aidan Hutchinson, 4 stars, Dearborn (Mich.)
- OLB Cameron McGrone, 4 stars, Indianapolis
- OT Ryan Hayes, 4 stars, Traverse City (Mich.)
- OT Jalen Mayfield, 4 stars, Grand Rapids (Mich.)
- CB Gemon Green, 4 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- RB Christian Turner, 3 stars, Buford (Ga.)
- TE Luke Schoonmaker, 3 stars, Hamden (Conn.)
- CB Sammy Faustin, 3 stars, Naples (Fla.)
- CB German Green, 3 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- QB Kevin Doyle, 3 stars (Washington, D.C.)
- RB Hassan Haskins, 3 stars, Eureka, (Missouri)
5 top uncommitted Michigan recruiting targets
DT Tyler Friday, 4 stars, (Ramsey, N.J.)
Michigan is against in-state Rutgers for 4-star defensive lineman Tyler Friday. Rated as his state’s No. 2 recruit for 2018, Friday is still projected to land with the Wolverines and would be a huge pick up for DL coach Greg Mattison. But as Land of 10’s Kevin Goheen writes, a Michigan-Rutgers battle is definitely happening.
TE Luke Ford, 4 stars, (Carterville, Ill.)
Luke Ford, the former Arkansas commit, has an impressive collection of offers, including from Alabama, Texas and Georgia. Steve Wiltfong of 247 Sports reported in July that Ford’s father considered the Wolverines among the leaders for his son, but the tide has shifted south. Alabama and Georgia now appear to be duking it out for Ford. He is ranked as the nation’s No. 2 tight end for 2018 and No. 59 overall. Alabama is the favorite.
OT Daniel Faalele, 3 stars, Bradenton (Fla.)
Daniel Faalele, who attends IMG Academy, moved to the United States from Australia and played his first official football game this fall. But the Australian has the size that intrigues college coaches. 247 Sports lists Faalele at 6-foot-8 and 400 pounds. According to Jeff Sentell of our sister site, DawgNation, Faalele has a Nov. 25 official visit planned to Ann Arbor. He already has been to Georgia and has others on his list.
DT Michael Thompson, 4 stars, St. Louis
Missouri holds 100 percent of the 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions for Michael Thompson, but he was at the Wolverines’ BBQ at the Big House this summer and their interest hasn’t waned. Thompson is nearly 300 pounds and is Missouri’s No. 2 recruit for 2018. Thompson included Michigan with Missouri, Ohio State, Alabama and LSU in his top-5 list. Expect this to be a Missouri-Michigan battle.
Michigan commitments position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commitments at each position.
- CB: 4 (Faustin, Gemon Green, German Green, Sims)
- OL: 2 (Hayes, Mayfield)
- LB: 2 (McGrone, Reese)
- QB: 2 (Milton, Doyle)
- DL: 1 (Hutchinson)
- RB: 1 (Turner)
- TE: 2 (Muhammad, Schoonmaker)
Geographical breakdown of Michigan football commits
Here is a breakdown of Michigan’s 2018 commits by state.
- Georgia: 3 (Reese, Sims, Turner)
- Michigan: 3 (Hayes, Hutchinson, Mayfield)
- Texas: 3 (Muhammad, Germon Green, German Green)
- Florida: 2 (Faustin, Milton)
- Indiana: 1 (McGrone)
- Connecticut: 1 (Schoonmaker)
- D.C.: 1 (Doyle)
The post Michigan football recruiting: Latest updates on Wolverines’ 2018 class appeared first on Land of 10.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.