LEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky basketball is finally catching its breath after a busy early season schedule, which means we can step back and take a wider look at the rest of the SEC. Host Curtis Burch and beat writer Kyle Tucker did just that on the latest episode of Wildcat Country, your daily UK podcast presented by SEC Country.
- We discussed this piece by Kyle, which highlights what a hot start the league is off to in hoops. There are already 10 wins against top-50 KenPom teams — and none of them by Kentucky. The SEC is going to challenge these young Wildcats almost every night this season.
- How good is Florida (beat Gonzaga, nearly beat Duke) and Texas A&M (top-50 wins over USC, West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Penn State)? And is Kentucky a distant third in the league at this point?
- If we held a draft and picked SEC players based on how they’re playing right now, how long would it take to select a Cat? Kevin Knox has been really good, but Alabama’s Collin Sexton, Texas A&M’s Robert Williams and Florida’s Chris Chiozza have all been ridiculous.
- How much can Kentucky get out of the next month — playing just 5 games in 33 days after opening with 7 in 16 days — with time to rest and practice and teach and learn? December is typically the biggest month of growth for a John Calipari-coached team, and we should know a lot more about these Cats after they close out 2017 with games against Virginia Tech, UCLA, Louisville and the SEC opener against Georgia. That’s three KenPom top-50 teams and all four are 68th or better.
- Oh, and Tennessee football fans are the worst. THE WORST.
Don’t miss any of our Cats coverage. Follow podcast host @CurtisBurch as well as @KyleTucker_SEC for hoops and football columns, @Joe_Mussatto for football team coverage, recruiting notes and UK-in-the-NBA rundowns.
The post Kentucky Wildcats podcast: SEC basketball resurgence leaves UK third-best (for now) in the league appeared first on SEC Country.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.