LEXINGTON, Ky. — We’ll find out Saturday whether Kentucky football is going to fully implode or right the ship and leave the door open for eight regular-season wins and a good bowl game. Host Curtis Burch and beat writer Joe Mussatto preview a trip to Vanderbilt on the latest episode of Wildcat Country, your daily UK podcast presented by SEC Country.
- “If you can imagine, the Kentucky defense was not in a great mood after practice,” Joe said Wednesday night. That’s because the Cats gave up 473 yards, 37 points and the game-winning TD with 5 seconds left last week against Ole Miss.
- There were a lot of questions, predictably, about UK’s porous secondary. Asked if there’s anything that can be done differently, cornerback Lonnie Johnson said matter-of-factly: “Not let them score.” Kudos to Johnson, the defender on the Rebels’ last touchdown, for coming out and talking to reporters.
- We get a special teams update from coordinator Dean Hood in light of the news that starting punter Matt Panton is suspended for Saturday’s game after a public intoxication arrest. Hood broke down Panton’s replacement, Grant McKinniss, and the unfortunate reality that he’ll likely have to burn his redshirt in Week 10.
- Joe and Curtis go in-depth on Cats vs. Commodores and make their picks.
- Joe, an Oklahoma grad, compares the way Bob Stoops and brother Mark handle criticism. The latter has been exceedingly defensive and irritated the last few weeks.
- But on the bright side, there was some good news in football recruiting. (No, not that 4-star QB commit Jarren Williams is cancelling all those visits to other big-time programs. That drama is going to drag on a while longer.) The Cats got a new pledge from a talented Florida prospect whose other offers (per Rivals) included Baylor, Iowa, Iowa State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh and South Carolina.
Don’t miss any of our Cats coverage. Follow podcast host @CurtisBurch as well as @KyleTucker_SEC for hoops and football columns, @Joe_Mussatto for football team coverage, recruiting notes and UK-in-the-NBA rundowns.
The post Kentucky Wildcats podcast: Can Stoops and Co. get defensive (in a good way) this week at Vanderbilt? appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.