NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Benny Snell has not yet completed his sophomore season, but the Kentucky running back set the program’s all-time record for rushing touchdowns on Saturday against Vanderbilt.
Snell entered the game with 25 career rushing touchdowns. Former Kentucky running backs Sonny Collins and Moe Williams shared the school record for rushing touchdowns with 26. Snell’s second rushing touchdown against Vanderbilt, coming at the 13- minute mark in the thrid quarter, gave him the record with 27 career rushing touchdowns. He had 13 last year and 14 so far this season.
Making history is nothing new for Snell. He broke six records in his freshman season at Kentucky.
Snell also became the first player in Kentucky history to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He has 106 yards so far against Vanderbilt.
Benny Snell’s record pace
It’s no surprise that a cross-armed Benny Snell is on the cover of the “Kentucky records” page in the media guide. It’s again worth noting that Snell is just a sophomore who didn’t even record a carry in the first two games of his freshman season.
Here’s a look at his record pace going into Saturday:
- Needs 103 yards to become the first player in school history to rush for 1,000-plus yards in back-to-back seasons.
- Needs 5 more rushing touchdowns this season to break Moe Williams’ Kentucky record of 17 rushing touchdowns in the 1995 season.
- Needs just 2 more rushing touchdown to break Moe Williams’ and Sonny Collins’ record for most career rushing touchdowns (26) at Kentucky.
- Snell’s 1,988 rushing yards have him ninth on the Kentucky career rushing leaders list. He needs 118 yards to pass Artose Pinner for eighth all-time. Sonny Collins holds the Kentucky record with 3,835 career rushing yards.
Already in the record books:
- The first player in school history with at least five 100-yard rushing games in back-to-back seasons.
- The first player in school history with at least 176 rushing yards in back-to-back games.
- Set six Kentucky freshman records: Most rushing touchdowns in a game (4), most rushing yards by a freshman (1,091), most rushing touchdowns by a freshman (13), most total touchdowns by a freshman (13), most 100-yard rushing games (5) and most rushing yards by a freshman in a single game (192).
The post Kentucky football: Benny Snell breaks school record for most rushing touchdowns appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.