Package deals were the talk of the summer on the basketball recruiting trail, and none sounded sweeter to the ears of Kentucky fans than a potential 5-star partnership between Immanuel Quickley and Zion Williamson.
Kentucky has long been the favorite to land Quickley, the No. 3 point guard in the 2018 class, according to 247Sports. Quickley still looks like a lock for the Wildcats, but there has been movement in projections for the other half of the package.
Williamson, perhaps the most exciting talent in high school basketball, told USA Today that he and Quickley want to play with each other in college, but “we’re not a package deal.”
SEC Country caught up with Williamson on July 15 at the Adidas Gauntlet Finale at the peak of the package deal talk.
“That’s the real deal,” Williamson said. “I want to play with Immanuel Quickley when I go to college,” he said. “If he goes to Kentucky, then I’m going to look into Kentucky really hard.”
While the door for Williamson and Quickley to potentially team up at Kentucky is still open, Kansas is emerging as a strong contender. The Crystal Ball on 247Sports gives the Cats a 42 percent chance to land Williamson, the No. 2 player in the class, followed by Kansas at 25 percent.
Andrew Slater, a recruiting expert for 247Sports, picked Williamson to Kansas on Tuesday. SEC Country’s Kyle Tucker caught up with Slater.
“I think Kansas makes sense,” Slater told Tucker, “from the perspective of his relationship with [5-star point guard] Devon Dotson, who may wind up [committing to Kansas] fairly soon, his strong connection to Adidas [Williamson plays on that shoe company’s AAU circuit] and Kansas’ ability to showcase players like him, as they did with Josh Jackson [No. 4 overall pick in 2017 NBA Draft]. He also has a strong relationship with Bill Self.”
But Slater isn’t doubting John Calipari and company’s chances. Read the rest of the story here.
More Kentucky basketball recruiting news
- Which 2018 prospects are most likely to commit to Kentucky? Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader asked the experts
- Kentucky wants to set up a visit with 5-star PF Simi Shittu, according to Adam Zagoria
- Former Western Kentucky signee Mitchell Robinson is no long being recruited by LSU; will visit Kansas this weekend
- Kentucky target Simi Shittu plans to cut his list to around 10 schools by the end of August
- Oregon remains the team to beat for Simi Shittu
- 2020 SF Jalen Johnson will visit Kentucky for Big Blue Madness
- 2020 SG Jabri Abdur-Rahim will take an unoffcial visit to Kentucky on Sept. 1
- Jontay Porter joins brother Michael Porter as part of Missouri’s 2017 class
- Analysis on Zion Williamson and Immanuel Quickley from Adidas Nations Global
The post Kentucky basketball recruiting notebook: Zion Williamson backs off package deal talk appeared first on SEC Country.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.