Jim McElwain says there is no update on Florida’s suspended star players

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain said he had no update on the status of star running back Jordan Scarlett or top receiver Antonio Callaway.

“Still haven’t heard anything and we’ll see,” he said Monday.

Scarlett and Callaway were among 10 Florida players suspended for the season opener Saturday against Michigan in Arlington, Texas.

The suspensions of Callaway, reserve defensive linemen Keivonnis Davis, Jordan Smith and Richerd Desir-Jones, freshman linebackers Ventrell Miller and James Houston, and freshman offensive lineman Kadeem Telfort  were announced on Aug. 13 .

And then last Wednesday, Florida announced Scarlett and injured redshirt freshman receiver Rick Wells were also suspended pertaining the same matter as the initial seven suspensions.

The matter has been reported as a misuse of school funds, while UFPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber said last week there is also an active ongoing investigation into allegations of credit card fraud. He could not specify the scope or names involved in that case, and McElwain would not offer any more clarity last week when discussing the suspensions.

McElwain has said previous the suspensions would continue until “whatever it is” is resolved.

Freshman wide receiver James Robinson was also suspended last week following a marijuana citation, and he’ll be available to play this week.

The post Jim McElwain says there is no update on Florida’s suspended star players appeared first on SEC Country.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X