Iowa football is working on its 2018 recruiting class, and the Hawkeyes still have some work to do.
On Tuesday, August 22, the Hawkeyes picked up a commit from CB Donald Johnson, and he’s now their highest-rated verbal pledge.
Below, find information and updates for the program’s 2018 recruiting class:
Where Iowa’s recruiting class ranks
Iowa’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 63 nationally and 13th in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports. All 12 of the Hawkeyes’ commitments are rated as 3-star recruits.
Latest news for Iowa recruiting
Iowa picked up its first August commitment on Tuesday, when 4-star DB D.J. Johnson picked the Hawkeyes.
However, the Hawkeyes are getting success for 2019, as CB Larry Tracy III committed July 31. Tracy’s cousin and teammate, Tyrone Tracy Jr., is a 2018 Iowa commit. Tyrone committed back in April.
Iowa 2018 offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 114
- 5-star offers: 3
- 4-star offers: 32
- In-state recruits offered: 5
- Ohio recruits offered: 17
- Illinois recruits offered: 11
- Florida recruits offered: 21
- Missouri recruits offered: 9
Iowa football commits for 2018
There are currently 11 Hawkeyes commits.
- CB Donald “D.J.” Johnson, 4 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- DT Noah Shannon, 3 stars, Oswego (Ill.)
- RB Tyrone Tracy Jr., 3 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- OT Cody Ince, 3 stars, Balsam Lake (Wis.)
- OLB Dillon Doyle, 3 stars, Iowa City (Iowa)
- DT Tyler Linderbaum, 3 stars, Solon (Iowa)
- OG Jeffrey Jenkins, 3 stars, Crystal Lake (Ill.)
- RB Henry Geil, 3 stars, Green Bay (Wis.)
- ATH Samson Evans, 3 stars, Crystal Lake (Ill.)
- OT Jack Plumb, 3 stars, Green Bay (Wis.)
- TE Anthony Torres, 3 stars, Bradenton (Fla.)
- CB Terry Roberts, 3 stars, Erie (Pa.)
Top uncommitted Iowa targets
4-star DL John Waggoner, West Des Moines (Iowa)
Most of the players the Hawkeyes have sent offers to are rated as 3 stars. All 11 current 2018 commits are 3 star prospects. So 4-star Waggoner would be a big recruiting win for Kirk Ferentz and the staff. The 6-foot-5, 230 pound defensive end is ranked by 247 Sports as Iowa’s top prospect for 2018. As reported by Rob Howe of HawkeyeNation.com, Waggoner was set to announce his decision at the end of July; Waggoner has since postponed his commitment.
3-star S Julius Brents, Indianapolis (Ind.)
The Hawkeyes are in solid position with another Indianapolis recruit, with Brents from Warren Central. Rated as Indiana’s No. 5 recruit for 2018, Brents listed the Hawkeyes among Cincinnati, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan State and Vanderbilt on June 26. Two predictions on 247 Sports have Brents choosing the Hawkeyes.
3-star RB/LB Elijah Collins, Detroit
The Michigan recruit announced a top-6 list on Monday, with Iowa making the cut. Collins also included Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Pittsburgh and Mississippi State. Collins is rated by 247 Sports composite as Michigan’s No. 21 recruit for 2018.
3-star S, WR Dallas Craddieth, Florissant (Mo.)
It looks like the Hawkeyes will be battling with Missouri for Craddieth’s pledge. A top-10 Missouri recruit for 2018, ranked No. 8, Craddieth most recently updated his favorites list in May. His top-12 list included Big Ten foes Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue and Wisconsin.
Iowa position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commitments for each position.
- OL: 3 (Ince, Jenkins, Plumb)
- CB: 2 (Johnson, Roberts)
- DL: 2 (Linderbaum, Shannon)
- RB: 2 (Geil, Tracy)
- OLB: 1 (Doyle)
- ATH: 1 (Evans)
- TE: 1 (Torres)
Here is a breakdown of Iowa’s 2018 commits by state.
- Illinois: 3 (Evans, Jenkins, Shannon)
- Wisconsin: 3 (Geil, Ince, Plumb)
- Indiana: 2 (Johnson, Tracy)
- Iowa: 2 (Doyle, Linderbaum)
- Florida: 1 (Torres)
- Pennsylvania: 1 (Roberts)
The post Iowa recruiting: Latest updates on the Hawkeyes’ 2018 class appeared first on Land of 10.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.