The regular season is done, and Clemson has a date with Miami in the ACC Championship Game on Saturday in what amounts to a play-in game for the College Football Playoff, although the Tigers could potentially sneak in with a loss should the cards fall right. Still, they’d rather leave nothing to chance and eliminate doubt in the minds of the committee.
Clemson hasn’t received a commitment in its 2018 recruiting class in more than five months, but a handful of guys the Tigers are targeting are slated to be making decisions during the early signing period that opens on Dec. 20, so expect some resolution one way or another soon.
Here’s where the Class of 2018 stands:
Where Clemson’s class ranks
Clemson’s class ranks fourth in the ACC and 19th in the nation. Although the Tigers have 11 commitments, the class is headlined by 2 of the top recruits in the country — quarterback Trevor Lawrence and defensive end Xavier Thomas. The Tigers have 3 top-100 recruits, according to the 247Sports composite rankings.
- Derion Kendrick continues to light up the opposition as he guides his team into the state finals. He’s going to be a terrific player for Clemson in the future. Also, the Tigers look like they’re on the verge of landing a commitment from a lineman.
- This time of year means coaches are getting fired. No such problem exists at Clemson, where the Tigers’ stability can mean a lot to a recruit trying to decide where to go.
- I took another shot at predicting what Clemson’s recruiting classes will look like on offense and defense.
Offers by the numbers
Reported offers: 106
5-star offers: 14
4-star offers: 66
In-state recruits offered: 11
Georgia recruits offered: 20
Florida recruits offered: 25
- 5-star QB Trevor Lawrence, Cartersville (Cartersville, Ga.)
- 5-star SDE Xavier Thomas, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star WR Derion Kendrick, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
- 4-star CB Kyler McMichael, Greater Atlanta Christian School (Norcross, Ga.)
- 4-star DT Josh Belk, Lewisville (Richburg, S.C.)
- 4-star WDE Justin Mascoll, South Gwinnett (Snellville, Ga.)
- 4-star OLB Mike Jones Jr., IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 3-star DT Darnell Jefferies, Newton (Covington, Ga.)
- 3-star OLB Jake Venables, Daniel (Central, S.C.)
- 3-star TE Braden Galloway, Seneca (S.C.)
- 3-star K BT Potter, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
5 top uncommitted targets
- 5-star WDE K.J. Henry, West Forsyth (Clemmons, N.C.): Henry has completed four of his five official visits, with Alabama set to receive the final one this weekend. Every one of Henry’s Crystal Ball predictions have him going to Clemson, and it looks like that’s where he’ll end up when he signs on Dec. 20.
- 4-star WR Justyn Ross, Central (Phenix City, Ala.): The biggest competition for Clemson with Ross is probably Auburn, which has turned around its season after sputtering a few times this year. Clemson is probably the team to beat, but things could change in the final few weeks.
- 4-star RB Lyn-J Dixon, Taylor County (Butler, Ga.): Dixon, a former Tennessee commit, likes what he sees out of Clemson. He’s got a few other official visits lined up as we cross into the new year, so his decision will come a bit later than most, but probably before National Signing Day.
- 5-star OL Cade Mays, Knoxville (Tenn.) Catholic: Another former Volunteer pledge, Mays is about to wrap up his official visits with a final trip to Georgia. The Bulldogs are likely Clemson’s biggest competition here, and the Tigers would love to have him slide in for Mitch Hyatt who is likely departing for the NFL.
Where each of Clemson’s commits line up on the field, and how many I think they’re still looking to take at each position.
QB: (1/1) Lawrence
WR: (1/2) Kendrick
TE: (1/1) Galloway
DL: (4/5) Thomas, Mascoll, Belk, Jeffries
LB: (2/2) Jones Jr., Venables
DB: (1/2) McMichael
K: (1/1) Potter
Where Clemson’s commits are from, by state:
South Carolina: 5 (Kendrick, Belk, Venables, Galloway, Potter)
Georgia: 4 (Lawrence, McMichael, Mascoll, Jeffries)
Florida: 2 (Thomas, Jones Jr.)
The post Clemson recruiting: Latest updates on Tigers’ next class appeared first on Diehards.