The 2017 Broyles Award, which annually honors college football’s top assistant coach, announced its list of nominees on Wednesday.
Seven Big 12 assistant coaches were nominated for the award. 56 nominees were listed in total, but a selection committee will soon cut the list down to 15 semifinalists and then 5 finalists at a later date.
The winner will be announced on Dec. 5 in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Here are the Big 12 coaches up for the award:
- Iowa State defensive coordinator Jon Heacock
- Kansas State special teams coordinator Sean Snyder
- Oklahoma offensive coordinator Bill Bedenbaugh
- Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich
- TCU defensive coordinator Chad Glasgow
- Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando
- West Virginia associate head coach/defensive coordinator Tony Gibson
Former Big 12 assistants to win the award include Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma offensive coordinator, 2015), Kevin Wilson (Oklahoma offensive coordinator, 2008), Greg Davis (Texas offensive coordinator, 2005) and Mark Mangino (Oklahoma offensive coordinator, 2000).
All four Big 12 assistants to win the Broyles Award held head coaching positions at one point in their careers.
The post 7 Big 12 assistants nominated for 2017 Broyles Award appeared first on Diehards.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.