Auburn’s 2018 football recruiting class remains at 11 commitments with plenty of time to add players between now and National Signing Day. The Tigers’ most recent commitments came in threes when defensive prospect Josh Marsh (Decatur, Ala.), linebacker Michael Harris (Tucker Ga.) and safety Jamien Sherwood (Jensen Beach, Fla.) committed to Auburn in a four-day span.
With 11 spots filled, Auburn has a dozen or so more prospects to add in the Class of 2018. The Tigers’ end-of-summer target would be around 15 commitments by the start of the 2017 football season, which is 22 days away.
Here’s an early glance of where things stand for Auburn’s 2018 class:
Where Auburn’s class ranks
Auburn’s 2018 class is ranked No. 33 in the nation and No. 10 in the SEC. Three of the Tigers’ 11 commits are 4-star recruits. Eight of their commitments are 3-star prospects. Auburn doesn’t have any 5-star commits to this point, however, there is time to make a rise in the national and conference rankings.
Matthew Hill will announce his college decision in the next “two or three weeks, maybe before that,” he told SEC Country. Hill is down to three programs: Auburn, Alabama and South Carolina. Hill, who grew up an Auburn fan, has been a Tigers lean since early summer, and that doesn’t appear to have changed, though the Crimson Tide and the Gamecocks have managed to make it interesting. Keep an eye out for the Georgia-based wide receiver to join Tigers’ class soon.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are other top recruiting headlines:
- Top DL target Coynis Miller says two schools are standing out.
- New Orleans safety Joe Foucha breaks down his top 7 list.
- Where does Auburn turn at RB after Dameon Pierce commitment?
- Auburn’s primary focus in the Class of 2019 is Bo Nix
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 200
- 5-star offers: 13
- In-state recruits offered: 21
- Georgia recruits offered: 49
- Florida recruits offered: 56
- 4-star QB Joey Gatewood, Bartram Trail (Fla.)
- 4-star ATH Quindarious Monday, Carver (Ga.)
- 4-star ILB Michael Harris, Tucker (Ga.)
- 3-star APB Shaun Shivers, Chaminade-Madonna (Fla.)
- 3-star S Jamien Sherwood, Jensen Beach (Fla.)
- 3-star OG Jalil Irvin, Stephenson (Ga.)
- 3-star DE Daquan Newkirk, Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.
- 3-star OT Kameron Stutts, Brooks (Ala.)
- 3-star WR Shedrick Jackson, Hoover (Ala.)
- 3-star ATH Kolbi Fuqua, Cordova (Ala.)
- 3-star ATH Josh Marsh, Decatur (Ala.)
Top 5 uncommitted targets
- 5-star QB Justin Fields, Harrison (Ga.)
- 4-star OG Trey Hill, Houston County (Ga.)
- 4-star LB JJ Peterson, Colquitt County (Ga.)
- 4-star WR Justyn Ross, Central (Ala.)
- 4-star OL Dylan Wonnum, Tucker (Ga.)
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/2 (Gatewood)
- RB: 1/2 (Shivers)
- TE: 0/1
- WR: 1/4 (Jackson)
- OL: 1/4 (Stutts, Irvin)
- DL: 1/4 (Newkirk)
- LB: 1/2 (Harris)
- CB: 0/2
- S: 4/4 (Monday, Sherwood, Marsh, Fuqua)
Here’s a breakdown of Auburn’s commits by state:
- Alabama: 4 (Stutts, Jackson, Fuqua, Marsh)
- Florida: 3 (Gatewood, Shivers, Sherwood)
- Georgia: 3 (Irvin, Harris, Monday)
- Mississippi: 1 (Newkirk — originally from Florida)
The post Auburn recruiting: Latest updates on the Tigers’ 2018 class appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.