Another week, another successful round for the future of Auburn football. Several of Auburn’s top targets excelled in their high school or junior college games last weekend.
Auburn coaches Gus Malzahn and Travis Williams traveled to the Atlanta area to see Tucker play Colquitt County. That game featured the No. 2 team in 7A (Colquitt) and top linebacker target JJ Peterson. It also included the top-ranked 6A team that includes Auburn commit Michael Harris and offensive line target Dylan Wonnum. Colquitt topped Tucker by 14 points.
A few key Auburn commits won’t have their stats posted below. Joey Gatewood’s game on Friday night was suspended due to lightning and will be played Monday night. Shedrick Jackson sat out of his game with a hamstring injury. Richard Jibunor and Quindarious Monday played key roles, but didn’t have much statistical output in narrow defeats. Josh Marsh sat out with a minor knee injury.
Check out the top performances.
3-star RB Shaun Shivers, Hollywood, Fla.
- 163 yards on 23 carries
- Saw time at cornerback in second half
- Shut down receiver who had 130 yards in the first half
- 14-13 loss vs. Miramar (Fla.)
3-star DL Daquan Newkirk, Perkinston, Miss.
- 7 tackles
- 2 tackles for loss
- 3 quarterback hurries
- 1 pass breakup
- Started at defensive tackle
- 42-41 win vs. Itawamba CC (Miss.)
4-star RB Asa Martin, Decatur, Ala.
- 200 rushing yards
- 4 touchdowns: 1 yard, 2 yards, 27 yards and 46 yards
- Longest run of the game: 75 yards
- 1 catch for 4 yards
- Didn’t play fourth quarter
- 41-14 win vs. Bob Jones (Ala.)
4-star WR Matthew Hill, Snellville, Ga.
- 22 rushing yards on 2 carries
- 46 receiving yards on 5 catches
- 58-yard punt return touchdown
- 35-7 loss vs. South Gwinnett (Ga.)
3-star safety Jamien Sherwood, Jensen Beach, Fla.
- Intercepted a pass in the end zone
- 9-yard rushing touchdown
- Game suspended due to lightning, will resume in two weeks
- Tied 7-7 vs. Centennial (Fla.)
4-star 2019 WR George Pickens, Hoover, Ala.
- 3 catches for 41 yards
- 42-7 win vs. Meridian (Miss.)
5-star QB Justin Fields, Kennesaw, Ga
- 19 carries for 218 yards
- 4 rushing touchdowns
- Pair of 74-yard runs
- 25-yard touchdown pass
- 45-42 loss vs. North Cobb (Ga.)
4-star 2019 QB Bo Nix, Scottsboro, Ala.
- 12 for 27 passing with 149 yards and 2 touchdowns
- 33-yard rushing touchdown
- Hail Mary touchdown pass to end first half
- 35-14 win vs. Ramsay (Ala.)
4-star DT Coynis Miller, Birmingham, Ala.
- 3-yard rushing touchdown
- 25-12 win vs. Central-Tuscaloosa (Ala.)
4-star WR Justyn Ross, Phenix City, Ala.
- 2 catches for 62 yards and a touchdown
- 2 punt returns for 90 yards
- 58-yard receiving touchdown
- 62-0 win vs. Fairfield (Ala.)
4-star WR Seth Williams, Cottondale, Ala.
- 9 receptions for 233 yards and a touchdown
- 88-yard touchdown catch
- 22-19 loss vs. Minor (Ala.)
4-star RB Harold Joiner, Birmingham, Ala.
- 12 carries for 101 yards and 4 touchdowns
- Touchdown runs: 1 yard, 3 yards, 10 yards and 22 yards
- 41-0 win vs. Helena (Ala.)
3-star ATH Kolbi Fuqua, Cordova, Ala.
- 31-yard reception
- 47-6 loss vs. Pleasant Grove (Ala.)
The post Auburn recruiting: How the Tigers commits, targets fared in weekend games appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.