Auburn survived a first-drive punch from top-ranked Georgia on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium and dominated the rest of the way in a 40-17 victory.
No. 10 Auburn improved to 8-2 overall — Georgia dropped to 9-1 — and sets up an enormous Iron Bowl in two weeks against Alabama at home. The winner of that game will meet Georgia in Atlanta in the SEC Championship Game on Dec. 2.
Auburn 40, Georgia 17. It’s over. No. 10 Auburn takes down No. 1 Georgia and sets up an interesting Tuesday night when the College Football Playoff rankings are revealed.
Auburn 40, Georgia 17 (4Q, 2:19): After converting a pair of fourth down plays by about an inch, Georgia scores on a Jake Fromm to Riley Ridley TD pass.
Auburn 40, Georgia 10 (4Q, 6:13): On third-and-3, Jarrett Stidham hits Kerryon Johnson on a screen pass and Johnson runs 55 yards for the exclamation point on the best Auburn performance of the season. The Iron Bowl is set up to be a huge one in two weeks.
Auburn 33, Georgia 10 (10:06, 4Q)
- Daniel Carlson tacks on three more points with a 37-yard field goal. Auburn up by double-digits with more than 10 minutes left on the clock in the fourth.
END OF 3rd: Auburn 30, Georgia 10
Auburn 30, Georgia 10 (5:23, 3Q)
- Rodrigo Blankenship knocks one in from 47 yards. According to Twitter, CBS is reporting infighting among Georgia’s defense. Everything continues to go Auburn’s way.
Auburn 30, Georgia 7 (8:12, 3Q)
- And just like that it’s another score for Auburn. Ryan Davis with a 32-yard catch. Everything is going right for the Tigers. Thanks to the last Georgia drive, where Dontavius Russell nearly crushed Jake Fromm, it’s all Auburn right now.
Auburn 23, Georgia 7 (11:57, 3Q)
- What a night for Auburn in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Darius Slayton makes what looks to be a great grab and it’s overturned. Then a fumble on a punt return gives Auburn the ball back. From there it’s all Kerryon Johnson and then quarterback Jarrett Stidham skips into the end zone for a 23-7 lead.
HALFTIME: Auburn 16, Georgia 7
Georgia misses a 42-yard field goal kick right before the final seconds of the first half and Auburn solidifies its 16-7 lead over the top-ranked Bulldogs.
Auburn 16, Georgia 7 (4:09, 2Q)
- Auburn and Georgia both have trouble scoring for most of the second quarter. For the most part it’s a sack party for both defenses and lots of three-and-outs. Auburn can’t do much on its last drive, but gets another chance after a UGA personal foul call.
- Wide receiver Darius Slayton catches a 42-yard bomb from Jarrett Stidham. Slayton snagged that thing and rolled into the end zone. What a catch.
Auburn 9, Georgia 7 (12:03, 2Q)
- The ball was spread around all over on the last Auburn drive. Jarrett Sitdham and Eli Stove started it, Kerryon Johnson added to it and Chandler Cox got in on the action, too. It ends however, with yep, you guessed it. Another Daniel Carlson field goal.
END OF 1st: UGA 7, Auburn 6
UGA 7, Auburn 6 (1:20, 1Q)
- More points on the board for Auburn, but it’s another Daniel Carlson field goal. The senior kicker drills this one from 37 yards out. The make comes after a back-and-forth drive for Auburn. The Tigers’ offense takes some chances with some sly play calls and trick option, but can’t capitalize for a big gain. Georgia wasn’t fooled.
UGA 7, Auburn 3 (8:19, 1Q)
- Daniel Carlson has no problem with a 54-yard field goal to put Auburn on the board. Tigers started a little slow, but got downfield with some help from Kerryon Johnson and Nate Craig-Myers.
UGA 7, Auburn 0 (11:21 1Q)
- Georgia got a long 3rd-down conversion over freshman DB Jordyn Peters and cruised to a TD after that. Auburn went from this close to a 3-and-out to giving up an easy TD drive.
Auburn football has a huge opportunity ahead of it, and it starts with a matchup against the undefeated rival Georgia Bulldogs in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, November 11, 2017.
The Tigers (7-2, 5-1 SEC) need to win out in order to make it to the SEC Championship Game. Georgia has already punched its ticket to Atlanta by winning the SEC East. Auburn will look to avoid a fourth straight loss to its big regional rival with what should be a dramatic, nationally televised showdown on the Plains.
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn desperately needs a big win against a rival opponent after several years of fading in November. Georgia’s Kirby Smart could still stay unbeaten in his second season at his alma mater with another impressive road victory. Here’s what you need to know about the showdown of Jarrett Stidham vs. Jake Fromm, Kerryon Johnson vs. Nick Chubb and Jeff Holland vs. Lorenzo Carter.
Auburn-Georgia football game time, details
- Time: 3:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. CT
- Date: Saturday, November 11
- Location: Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, Ala.
- Line: Georgia by 2.5
What TV channel is Auburn-Georgia football on?
CBS is broadcasting this game between Auburn and Georgia.
Who is calling the Auburn-Georgia football game?
Brad Nessler is the play-by-play announcer, Gary Danielson is the color commentator and Allie LaForce is the sideline reporter for the Auburn-Georgia game on CBS.
How can I watch Auburn-Georgia football online?
You can stream the Auburn and Georgia game on the SEC on CBS website.
How can I listen to Auburn-Georgia football on the radio?
You can listen to the Auburn Sports Network call of the Auburn and Georgia game with Rod Bramblett, Stan White and Ronnie Brown. Locally in Auburn, the broadcast is on 93.9 FM. The Auburn Sports Network also offers a stream on AuburnTigers.com and the TuneIn app.
Auburn-Georgia football preview
- Top 10 throwdown: This matchup will mark the fourth time in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry that Auburn and Georgia will both be in the top 10 of the AP poll. In the three previous meetings (1971, 1983 and 2004), Auburn won all three.
- ‘Bout that balance: Auburn is only one of five FBS teams to average at least 220 yards passing and 220 yards rushing this season, joining Clemson, Ohio State, South Florida and Toledo.
- Still on top: Johnson leads all Power 5 running backs with 15 rushing touchdowns this season and he has 5 more than any other player in the SEC.
Contributing: Justin Ferguson
The post Auburn-Georgia: Recap, score for Week 11 game (11/11/2017) appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.