Arkansas’ 2018 recruiting class sits at 12 commitments as the coaching staff prepares for the 2017 season.
The Razorbacks nearly have all their available scholarship spots filled in the class. The expectation is two more openings remain available for commitments. There’s a heavy in-state influence among the group with five of the 12 commits being from the Natural State.
Here’s an update at where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where Arkansas’ class ranks
Breaking news regarding the 2018 class has slowed down considerably since practices for the 2017 season began in late July. Arkansas did land the commitment of Maureese Wren on Aug. 2, adding a needed outside linebacker to the class. Over the past week, no known new offers have been sent out in the 2018 class.
The recruiting cycle is currently in a dead period through the end of August. Recruits cannot visit campuses and coaches are restricted from doing in-person evaluations or having contact with recruits.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
- Recruiting mailbag: Dual-threat QBs and 2019 in-state prospects
- Offensive coordinator Dan Enos gained new perspective on recruiting this summer
- Arkansas not expecting to ‘play the hat game’ in recruiting
- Arkansas still heavily pursuing DE Nicholas Fulwider
- RB David Williams ‘surprised’ by Arkansas during recruitment
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 150
- 5-star offers: 5
- 4-star offers: 71
- In-state recruits offered: 7
- Texas recruits offered: 30
- Georgia recruits offered: 24
- Florida recruits offered: 23
- Louisiana recruits offered: 18
- QB Connor Noland, 4 stars, Greenwood (Ark.)
- LB Bumper Pool, 4 stars, Lovejoy (Lucas, Texas)
- CB Byron Hanspard II, 4 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- ATH Sean Michael Flanagan, 3 stars, Charleston (Ark.)
- RB Jeremy Gibson, 3 stars, Riverside Academy (Reserve, La.)
- CB Tanner McCalister, 3 stars, Rockwall-Heath (Rockwall, Texas)
- DT Emmit Gooden, 3 stars, Independence (Kan.) Community College
- DL John Mincey, 3 stars, Clinch County (Homerville, Ga.)
- OLB Maureese Wren, 3 stars, Horn (Mesquite, Texas)
- T Noah Gatlin, 3 stars, Jonesboro (Ark.)
- DL Isaiah Nichols, 3 stars, Springdale (Ark.)
- T Luke Jones, 3 stars, Pulaski Academy (Little Rock, Ark.)
Top 3 uncommitted targets
4-star TE Luke Ford, Carterville (Ill.)
Ford committed to Arkansas in March, then denounced his pledge three months later. He has since listed Alabama as his top choice. Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Michigan and a handful of other Power 5 schools remain in the mix as well.
Considering the list of competitors, it’s tough to envision the Hogs retrieving Ford. But Arkansas can point to its two Mackey Award winners since 2010 to trump all others. No other program has two since 2000, when the award for the nation’s top tight end originated.
3-star DL Nicholas Fulwider, Sandy Creek (Tyrone, Ga.)
Initially expected to announce his commitment late this month, Fulwider is now planning to do so in the fall. He intends to take additional visits before deciding, including a trip to Arkansas early in the 2017 season. His next trip to Fayetteville will be his second after a visit in June.
Fulwider currently has Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Indiana, North Carolina, Rutgers and Vanderbilt as his top choices. After defensive end Mincey committed last week, the three available spots on the defensive line have been taken. However, the Hogs are definitely willing to make an exception for Fulwider.
3-star DB Joseph Foucha, McDonogh 35 (New Orleans)
Arkansas already have two cornerbacks and a projected safety committed in the class. Those are all the expected spots available in the defensive backfield. But, like Fulwider, the Razorbacks view Foucha as too talented to pass up.
Foucha has told SEC Country in the past he really likes the Razorbacks. On Monday, he listed them among his top 7 choices. Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Florida State, Kansas and LSU also made the cut.
For whatever it’s worth, Foucha only tweeted out his official offer letters from Arkansas, Alabama and LSU on Aug 1, the first day recruits could receive them. He definitely received several more.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position with SEC Country’s projection of how many will be signed:
- QB: 1/1 (Noland)
- RB: 1/1 (Gibson)
- TE: 0/1
- WR: 0/0
- OL: 2/2 (Gatlin, Jones)
- DL: 3/4 (Gooden, Mincey, Nichols)
- ILB: 1/1 (Pool)
- OLB: 1/1 (Wren)
- CB: 2/2 (Hanspard II, McCalister)
- S: 1/1 (Flanagan)
(Note: Arkansas has two blueshirts from the 2017 class expected to be put on scholarship later and count toward this class.)
Here’s a breakdown of Arkansas’ commits by state:
- Arkansas: 5 (Flanagan, Gatlin, Jones, Nichols, Noland)
- Texas: 4 (Hanspard II, McCalister, Pool, Wren)
- Georgia: 1 (Mincey)
- Louisiana: 1 (Gibson)
- Kansas: 1 (Gooden)
The post Arkansas football recruiting: Latest updates on the Razorbacks’ 2018 class appeared first on SEC Country.