TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — All eyes have been on the linebacker group as Alabama football looks to replaces four key players due to injuries.
Alabama football hosts Fresno State on Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium for its home opener. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
What we saw
- Alabama defensive lineman Da’Shawn Hand was spotted working with the outside linebackers. That’s an interesting development considering Hand is one of Alabama’s starting defensive lineman. The move could just be a test to see how Hand looks rushing the passer standing up. For the most part, Hand looked like a natural. Outside linebackers coach Tosh Lupoi praised Hand for his work during drills. At 288 pounds, Hand would be the biggest outside linebacker of the Saban era. Imagine being a tight end and seeing that guy standing up in front of you.
- Jamey Mosley continued to lead outside linebacker drills followed by Mekhi Brown and Hand. Freshmen VanDarius Cowan and Chris Allen worked behind them.
- Freshman LaBryan Ray, who was recruited as a defensive lineman, is still working with the outside linebacker. Similar to Hand, Ray looks like a natural during drills.
- With Hand working with the outside linebackers, Isaiah Buggs joined Raekwon Davis, Da’Ron Payne and Josh Frazier at the front of the defensive line drills.
- Linebacker Rashaan Evans (groin) was spotted wearing a black, non-contact jersey while riding a stationary bike.
- Running back Josh Jacobs (hamstring) did more in practice Wednesday than he’s done in a while. It’s still unclear if Jacobs will play on Saturday.
- When Alabama worked on its dime package, Levi Wallace lined up at the left cornerback spot with Anthony Averett at right corner. Trevon Diggs shadowed Wallace. Ronnie Harrison and Hootie Jones were the two safeties. Minkah Fitzpatrick lined up at money with Tony Brown at star. Keith Holcombe was the lone inside linebacker.
- Ben Davis is still wearing a scout-team jersey.
- A scout from the New England Patriots was spotted at practice.
Defensive line drills
More defensive line drills
The post Alabama football: Starting D-lineman works with new position appeared first on SEC Country.