TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football hit the field on Monday in hopes of figuring out what to do about its lack of outside linebacker depth.
The Crimson Tide’s linebacker group was hit hard by injuries in the 24-7 win over Florida State on Saturday. Alabama hosts Fresno State on Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium for its home opener. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
What we saw
- Running back Josh Jacobs (hamstring) was back at practice. Jacobs participated early in the media viewing period, but is clearly still limited. Alabama coach Nick Saban said its too early to tell whether or not Jacobs will play on Saturday.
- The big story today was Alabama’s outside linebacker group. Both Christian Miller (biceps) and Terrell Lewis (elbow) were lost for the season, and Anfernee Jennings (ankle) is dealing with a serious injury. Making matters worse, Alabama is without inside linebacker Rashaan Evans (groin) who could have slide outside in a pinch. There was no sign of Jennings, but Evans was spotted wearing a black, non-contact jersey as reporters walked into practice. Losing Evans makes it tough for Alabama to move Mack Wilson or Dylan Moses from inside to outside linebacker because they would affect inside linebacker depth.
- With Evans out, Shaun Dion Hamilton led Alabama’s inside linebackers through drills followed by Keith Holcombe, Moses and Wilson.
- We saw Jamey Mosley leading the outside linebackers through drills followed by Mekhi Brown, freshman VanDarius Cowan and freshman Chris Allen. What a difference a week makes. The good thing for Alabama is that these next two weeks should give these young players an opportunity to earn experience.
- A lot of people have asked about former 5-star prospect Ben Davis. As of now, Davis is still working with the scout team. It could change, but he is currently working behind Mosley, Brown, Cowan and Allen.
- There was another freshman working with the defensive lineman. 5-star freshman LaBryan Ray made the move from defensive line to outside linebacker. Ray is listed at 272 pounds, which is only 10 pounds than what Jennings is listed at. This could be a great opportunity for Ray to develop his pass rushing skills.
- Safety Hootie Jones was spotted with a protective pad/brace on his right shoulder, but didn’t appear to be limited. Jones was spotted postgame on Saturday with his right arm in a sling.
Watch: Alabama coach Nick Saban
The post Alabama football: Position change, injury updates as Fresno State prep begins appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.