TUSCALOOSA, Ala. —The University of Alabama football team held its final practice of the preseason, working outside Saturday afternoon in shells on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields.
The conditions were cloudy and humid: 84 degrees, 94 heat index, 71 percent humidity and 74 dew point.
• Alabama continues to be cautious with sophomore running back Josh Jacobs (hamstring), who has been dressing for practices but doing little physically outside of stretching. He has not been ruled out for next week’s game against Florida State, but his chances of playing obviously decrease the closer the game gets. The primary three running backs for drills were junior Damien Harris, junior Bo Scarbrough and true freshman Najee Harris.
• Junior linebacker Christian Miller (hamstring) was a limited, but involved in some installation reporters saw.
• No one wore a black no-contact jersey during the observation periods.
Alabama practicing on Saturday afternoon
Crimson Tide defensive linemen bringing the heat pic.twitter.com/PSc5YkPlpM
— Ryan C. Fowler (@RyanCFowler) August 26, 2017
What we saw …
• For the second straight day, sophomore Trevon Diggs appeared to be splitting reps with senior Levi Wallace at left cornerback, this time in the dime package. Senior Anthony Averett was at right corner, with senior Hootie Jones and junior Ronnie Harrison at the safety spots, junior Minkah Fitzpatrick at money and senior Tony Brown at star.
• Senior Rashaan Evans and true freshman Dylan Moses were both with the outside linebackers, but it was likely due to some pass-rushing installation of the rabbits package. The front four had defensive linemen Da’Shawn Hand and Da’Ron Payne in the interior, with Miller and Evans on the outside. Isaiah Bugss and Raekwon Davis were the first players to rotate in the interior, while junior Jamey Mosley and Evans shadowed Evans, and Anfernee Jennings and Mehki Brown were behind Miller.
• The offensive line remained the same, with sophomore Matt Womack taking reps with the first team ahead of true freshman Jedrick Wills Jr.
• Numerous recruits were on hand watching practice. New baseball coach Brad Bohannon brought a couple by as well.
The post Alabama football holds final practice before game week appeared first on SEC Country.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.