The list of nominees for the Broyles Award, which is given annually to college football’s top assistant coach, were announced Wednesday. Assistant coaches from 6 Big Ten schools made the cut:
- Don Brown, Michigan defensive coordinator/linebackers coach
- Harlon Barnett, Michigan State co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach
- Mike Hankwitz, Northwestern defensive coordinator
- Larry Johnson, Ohio State defensive line coach/assistant head coach
- Brent Pry, Penn State defensive coordinator/linebackers coach
- Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin defensive coordinator
All 6 of the Big Ten assistant coaches nominated come on the defensive side of the ball. The full list of 56 nominees for the award can be found here.
The Broyles Award was created in 1996 and “recognizes Frank Broyles’ legacy of selecting and developing great assistants during his almost two decades as head coach at Arkansas.”
Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables won the honor in 2016. The last Big Ten assistant to win the Broyles Award was then-Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman in 2014 during the Buckeyes’ national championship run.
The post 2017 Broyles Award nominees: 6 Big Ten assistant coaches nominated appeared first on Land of 10.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.