- Fiza Pirani The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Now that your bellies are stuffed with delicious Thanksgiving turkey and warm apple pie, it’s time to get serious about Black Friday.
Whether you’re on a mission to catch those killer doorbuster deals or just need to hit the road Friday, don’t let traffic delays get in your way.
We reached out to popular navigation app Waze for national and local historical navigation data and incorporated newly-released Google Trends insights to determine the best and worst times to drive on Black Friday, Nov. 24.
The worst times to drive on Black Friday
Google Trends and Waze data shows Friday late afternoon between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. is peak traffic time in Atlanta, with traffic starting to climb as early as 2 p.m.
Nationally, traffic will peak between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Friday.
According to insights based on daily drives in the U.S. during November 2016, Waze data found the following navigation trends for Black Friday:
- Navigations to retail locations are at its highest from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Navigations to retail locations peak at 1 p.m.
- Trips to electronics stores increased by 208 percent, compared to an average Friday in November 2016, according to data from Waze app users.
- The top retailers Waze app users navigated to were Walmart, Target, Best Buy, the Home Depot and Costco.
More on Black Friday 2017: