- Fiza Pirani The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Do you pride yourself on your “museum quality cleaning” and “heavy organization” skills? Do you dream of living among New York City’s upper class?
Well, now’s your chance.
One prominent Upper East Side family is searching for a live-in “domestic couple” with at least 7-10 years of homemaking experience to “serve as all around gatekeepers” of their second home, a 30,000-square-foot townhouse. The pay: between $100,000 and $150,000 per year, depending on your level of experience.
According to the listing posted on HireSociety.com — a firm dedicated to finding the best of the best in domestic help for wealthy New York families — the job is full-time and includes two weeks vacation, plus potential for a benefits package after 90 days.
The live-in couple would have a separate, private room and bath within the home.
As part of the domestic couple, you’ll be responsible for overseeing, managing and maintaining the home. This entails housekeeping, cooking, cleaning, managing and overseeing construction and “any and all other duties or requests related to the needs of the principals and household.”
According to the listing, you should be comfortable serving “Mr and Mrs” and occasionally their extended family.
And you should also understand “when to be present and when to work more behind the scenes.”
Thinking of applying with your partner? Here’s the full listing description from HireSociety.com:
Prominent Upper East Side couple seeks an experienced, highly organized, and thorough Domestic Couple to oversee, manage, and maintain their 30,000 sq ft townhouse. This position is live-in, full time, with a flexible 5 day work schedule. Days worked may change weekly as this is the principal’s secondary residence. The ideal candidates will have overriding flexibility to work extended hours and weekends upon request.
The couple will serve as all around gatekeepers to the principals ensuring all aspects of the home are adequately operating at all times. The role entails housekeeping, laundry, cooking, serving, cleaning, and managing and overseeing construction, vendors and maintenance repairs. The ideal candidate will have experience cooking healthy, formal breakfasts, lunches and dinners as well as have extensive experience serving in a formal home. The candidates must be comfortable serving Mr and Mrs, as well as their extended family on occasion. The couple will have a strong desire to be hands-on in residence, understanding when to be present and when to work more behind the scenes.
Accommodations will be provided in the form of a separate, private room and bath within the residence.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing and providing full-time care of the family’s residence
• Museum quality cleaning throughout the home with attention to bedrooms, special surfaces and bathrooms, etc.
• Full laundry duties for the couple including washing, ironing, steaming, closet organization, managing a list of garments that have been sent out for professional service, etc.
• Packing and unpacking clothes for travel
• Preparing fresh, healthy and delicious meals daily for the Lady and Gentleman
• Providing formal service and meal preparation upon request for luncheons, dinner parties, etc. including table set-up, floral arrangements, bartending, wine pouring and pairing and guest greeting & socialization
• Personal shopping, running errands, stock procurement and special requests, etc.
• Heavy organization throughout the home including pantries, kitchen, closets, etc.
• Ability to work in tandem with vendors, contractors, other domestic staff, etc.
• Knowledge and ability to operate smart home systems
• Driving the principals as requested to and from appointments, errands, meetings, etc.
• Any and all other duties or requests related to the needs of the principals and household
• Strong cooking and presentation skills with an emphasis on fresh, healthy and simple seasonally-based meals; OK to prepare fare for the clients on a daily basis
• Excellent command of the English language; excellent written and verbal skills, Spanish a PLUS
• Minimum 7 – 10+ years related professional experience serving as a Domestic Couple for a private family
• Culinary experience or any certifications are a MAJOR PLUS
• Exceptional organization skills and multitask management; able to undertake both macro as well as micro projects in and around the residence
• Professional mindset and manor; constant use of discretion and confidentiality a must
• Incredibly “hands-on,” – able to work both independently and as part of a team
• Strong housekeeping experience, including care of antiques and special surfaces
• Museum quality cleaning abilities required
• Strong laundry abilities including ironing, steaming, closet organization and maintenance, as well as heavy organization, etc.
• Strong property management skills including maintenance, carpentry, handyman/houseman skills and landscaping
• Knowledge of and ability to perform formal food and beverage/bartending service
• Flexible in scheduling; OK to work both long hours and overtime as needed
• Willing and able to travel domestically with principals as needed
• Valid Driver’s License ; confident driver with zero points, one candidate must be willing and able to drive client and family members as needed
• Legally able to work in the United States for any employer