Five Florida children were taken to a hospital after being exposed to chlorine gas during swimming lessons, authorities said.
Just after 7 p.m. Monday, a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue team was called to Calypso Pool in Tampa, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.
The children were treated at a local hospital for stomach discomfort and nausea but are said to be OK, according to WFTS.
Calyposo Pool’s owner claimed an afternoon thunderstorm caused a breaker to trip one of the pool pumps, so the water stopped circulating and chemicals built up in the pipes, according to the fire rescue team.
When the pump turned back on, it caused a chemical reaction that allowed approximately 2.5 gallons of a chlorine mix into the pool, the fire rescue team said.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.