5 Florida children poisoned by chlorine gas during swim lessons

Five Florida children were taken to a hospital after being exposed to chlorine gas during swimming lessons, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news 

Just after 7 p.m. Monday, a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue team was called to Calypso Pool in Tampa, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.

>> Related: Palm Springs girl drowns in Palm Beach pool

The children were treated at a local hospital for stomach discomfort and nausea but are said to be OK, according to WFTS

Calyposo Pool’s owner claimed an afternoon thunderstorm caused a breaker to trip one of the pool pumps, so the water stopped circulating and chemicals built up in the pipes, according to the fire rescue team.

>> Related: What parents need to know about 'dry' and 'secondary' drowning

When the pump turned back on, it caused a chemical reaction that allowed approximately 2.5 gallons of a chlorine mix into the pool, the fire rescue team said. 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X