Mansour Kenereh (center, in purple sweater) reunites with family members in the international arrivals lobby at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. The family of three were among several people detained Saturday at the Customs and Border Protection office following an executive order from President Trump limiting immigration.
Photo: Kent D. Johnson/AJC
Photo: Kent D. Johnson/AJC

Some still detained at Atlanta airport amid confusion over Trump immigration order

Four additional people - including a 76-year-old woman - are still being held at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport by federal immigration authorities on Saturday after returning from Iran, according to relatives.

Authorities are citing President Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration, signed late Friday.

Earlier Saturday evening, another four Georgians were released after being held for hours. They were also returning from Iran.

A father, mother and their 10-year-old daughter from Suwanee were greeted with hugs and tears from anxious relatives in the arrivals area of the international terminal Saturday night. Another woman from Alpharetta was also released after being detained. All had green cards. 

U.S  Reps. John Lewis and Hank Johnson arrived at the airport Saturday night and were greeted by a small throng of activists and lawyers.

“Why don’t we just sit down and stay awhile?” Lewis, of Atlanta, told the group. He said U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials are refusing to give him information about how many people are still being held.

Congressman John Lewis (D-Ga, right) speaks with attorneys Sarah Owings and Daniel Werner outside the Customs and Border Protection office at Hartsfield International airport Saturday.
Photo: Kent D. Johnson/AJC

» RELATED: Fate of 40 Atlanta-bound refugees in limbo after Trump ban

Mansour Kenareh of Suwanee said his brother-in-law’s family were held for four hours by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials at the airport.

“They went back to visit their parents and siblings and now they come back and are facing this new overnight ruling,” Kenareh said as he waited for his relatives in the international terminal.

“There is a big difference between a visa – which means permission to enter – and permanent residence, which gives the right to live in this country,” he continued. “Right now, the authorities are completely confused… I’m very concerned about the response I’m getting.”

Kenareh said his brother in law old him after his release that there were four other Iranians being held.

The daughter of a 76-year-old woman said her motheris among them.

Nabee Mosavi of Alpharetta said his mother-in-law – a certified public accountant – was detained for about an hour.

“She got her green card back in 2011,” Mosavi said as he waited along with Kenareh.

“I have no idea what the reason is to hold her,” he continued. “This is not right for green card-holders.”

» READ MORE: Anger erupts over Trump's order banning refugees from US
Sarah Owings, a local immigration attorney, is helping the families at the airport.

“These are people who live here — who have houses, dogs, cars,” Owings said. “We are being stonewalled. We are not being given any information beyond the number and email address for the public affairs officer” from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection did not immediately respond to a request for comment Saturday.

Trump’s order, signed Friday, suspends all refugee entries for 120 days.

Meanwhile, the fate of some 40 Atlanta-bound refugees is in limbo after Trump closed the U.S. border to all refugees trying to enter the U.S., the head of the local office of a refugee organization said Saturday. The refugees were already on their way from Asia and Africa when the executive order was signed Friday afternoon, said J.D. McCrary, executive director of the Atlanta office for the International Rescue Committee. They are scheduled to arrive Monday.

» RELATED: Atlanta Mayor Reed condemns Trump immigration move

“The question is, what’s going to happen to all the people who are already in the air, all of the people who are on the first or second leg [of their journeys]?” McCrary said. “We haven’t heard anything about that.”

The New York Times reported that two refugees who were on flights to the U.S. when the executive order was signed were stopped and detained at New York’s Kennedy Airport. Lawyers said one worked on behalf of the U.S. government in Iraq for 10 years. The other was to reunite with his wife, who had worked for an American contractor, and their young son.

Trump’s executive order suspends all refugees from entering the U.S. for 120 days, and bars those from war-torn Syria indefinitely. It also blocks entry to citizens from seven Muslim nations.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. Atlanta. News. Now.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. Atlanta. News. Now.