Minute-by-minute in the Justin Ross Harris trial (Nov. 1)

This is a running account of the Justin Ross Harris murder trial unfolding in Brunswick. Harris is charged with intentionally killing his 22-month-old son, Cooper, by leaving him for seven hours in a hot SUV on a June day in 2014. Yesterday Leanna Taylor, formerly Leanna Harris, testified for nearly five hours as a witness for her ex-husband's defense. Her testimony was to resume today. 

3:50 p.m.

The court is in recess for today. The trial will resume tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.

3:45 p.m.

They had gone about a half mile from her house to the highway when Cooper fell asleep, Taylor said. Boring pointed out that Taylor testified she hadn’t heard a peep out of Cooper almost the entire trip. 

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Tex McIver guilty of felony murder, other charges
  2. 2 The Tex McIver verdict: Charge by charge
  3. 3 Man arrested in high-speed North Fulton car chase won’t get bond

But, she said, he fell asleep soon after leaving from her house. “It was quick.” 

You’re assuming because he wasn’t making any noise that Cooper was asleep within that half mile, Boring said. No, Taylor said. She’s confident he fell asleep almost immediately.

3:42 p.m.

Boring is now cross-examining Taylor. 

In 2014, Taylor was interviewed by a defense investigator about the trip to Cooper’s great grandmother. Taylor said she didn’t remember parts of the interview and admitted her memory may have been better back then than now, two years later. 

But, she pointed out, she was under duress in 2014. “We were all in shock. We lost our baby.” 

In 2014, she didn’t tell him about the trip back from Cooper’s great grandmother, just her trip to there.

3:38 p.m.

Kilgore shows Taylor photos presented by the prosecution of a life-sized doll, the same dimensions of Cooper, in the car seat in the back of Harris’ SUV. It doesn’t look like what the car seat typically looked like according to Taylor. 

“That doesn’t look like Cooper. The head is too big. It didn’t come up far enough for you to see it from behind,” she testified. 

Taylor said that Cooper was a good traveler and often fell asleep in his car seat. On a visit to his great grandmother, she made him a grilled cheese sandwich. 

Cooper’s great grandmother sat in the back with him. Cooper had fallen asleep before even getting out of town, which isn’t very far.

3:35 p.m.

The defense calls Deborah Taylor, Leanna’s mother, as a witness. 

“I know this is not where you want to be so I’m going to keep this very short, ok?” Kilgore said. 

Taylor said she visited her grandson Cooper about twice a month. 

Kilgore showed Taylor some photos taken after a day of hiking with Cooper on Easter weekend. 

She was with Cooper on June 5, 2014 at her house when Leanna visited with the toddler. She took Cooper to pick up his great grandmother. He fit in the car seat just like he fit in one of the photos Taylor identified. 

“He was a little boy,” Taylor said.

Deborah Taylor, the mother of Leanna Taylor and the grandmother of Cooper, testifies at her former son-in-law Justin Ross Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

3:28 p.m.

Court is back in session.

3:17 p.m.

The court is taking an afternoon break.

2:58 p.m.

Baygents said she was shocked by Harris. She also testified that she was unaware that he was having trouble at work. Harris never told her that he was having an affair with an 18-year-old or seeing prostitutes, Boring pointed out. 

The prosecution in many of its cross-examinations today that Harris led a double life his family and friends knew nothing about.

2:53 p.m.

Baygents said she had followed up with Harris about whether he had talked to the travel agents about the cruise. He said yes. 

Harris lied and had never followed up with the travel agent, although he did two minutes later after that text exchange, Boring said. 

Baygents said she didn’t initially know about the problems Harris and Leanna were having in their marriage. 

On one of their visits to Harris’ house, she learned of a message exchange. Harris came in and told she and her husband that they had a fight. Leanna forced Harris to tell them. 

“That’s the first I learned that there were any problems in the marriage,” Baygents testified.

"She was very upset and crying," Baygents said of Leanna's reaction.

2:50 p.m.

Boring is now cross-examining Baygents. 

Harris at one point was trying to an adults-only type of vacation, Boring pointed out.

Amy Baygents, whose husband Michael is the brother of Justin Ross Harris, testifies at Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

2:44 p.m.

Baygents said there were no problems in the relationship between Harris and Cooper.

From 2014: Justin Ross Harris, costumed as a Home Depot power drill, holds his son, Cooper, in this family photo from 2014. This moment was remembered by one of Harris' coworkers, who said that Harris liked to show off Cooper to his coworkers. (Photo from Facebook) (WSB-TV)

2:42 p.m.

“He’s a talker,” Baygents said, describing Harris. “He has a lot of knowledge a lot of facts. You don’t want to play Ross in Trivial Pursuit.” 

He inserts himself into conversations. “If he doesn’t know the answer (to a question), he’s going to find the answer right then,” she testified.

“He bragged on Cooper all the time,” she said. “He bragged on Cooper to everybody.”

2:40 p.m.

The defense calls as a witness, Amy Baygents, Harris’ sister-in-law. 

Baygents and her family spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with Harris, Leanna and Cooper. 

“Ross was a very loving dad … attentive, played with him a lot,” she testified about how Harris interacted with Cooper. 

Harris pushed him in the stroller, carried Cooper around, got ice cream, Baygents said. “He always helped out with bedtime, bath time, feeding.” She said. “Leanna and Ross were both very hands on parents and seemed to both take on those responsibilities together.”

2:33 p.m.

Baygents said that Harris appeared to be a loving husband who treated his wife well. 

“Since this has happened, you realized there was another side to your brother. Would you agree with that?” lead prosecutor Boring asked. 

“I would agree that he made a lot of mistakes,” Baygents replied. 

Harris didn’t do anything that would lead Baygents to believe his brother saw prostitutes or sent sexually explicit text messages to under-aged teens. 

“I just don’t think that anybody would share that with their brother,” Baygents said in response to the prostitutes. He said that he wouldn’t have expected that kind of behavior from his brother.

Justin Ross Harris reacts to hearing his brother Michael Baygents testify about a trip that their families took together, during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

2:29 p.m.

The prosecution is now cross-examining Baygents. 

The defendant’s brother said he wasn’t aware that Harris had decided not to buy a house any time soon.

2:27 p.m.

Did Harris ever assist with internet-related matters at the Tuscaloosa police academy? Kilgore asked. Yes, he said. 

He pulled video clips realted to officer survival for classes Baygents taught. 

When asked, Baygents said he loved his brother. 

“You’re not going to lie for him are you,” Kilgore asked. 

“I am not,” Baygents replied. 

Kilgore pointed out that Baygents learned about the sexting and other things Harris has done. 

“I am very ashamed of the things that he has done,” he testified.

2:24 p.m.

They were starting to look at the future for Cooper’s schooling, looking for good neighborhoods with good schools and houses with big backyards, Baygents testified. “Everything revolved around Cooper,” he said.

Justin Ross Harris reacts to hearing his brother Michael Baygents testify about a trip that their families took together, during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

2:21 p.m.

Baygents testified that Harris was “really on him” about wanting the two families to go on a cruise. Baygents said he told his brother to look into it. 

Baygents also testified that he actually got passports for his kids. 

This was a serious plan,” Kilgore said. “Yes,” the witness replied.

They were looking into Carnival Cruises because it was more family-oriented.

2:19 p.m.

“He’s just a talker. He’s never met a stranger,” Baygents said about his brother. “It was really annoying going out. I’ve always been quiet, but Ross would talk to anybody and everybody. Really, it was annoying.”

2:16 p.m.

Baygents said he had a chance to see Harris interact with Cooper just weeks before the toddler’s death. The families were vacationing on the beach. 

Harris set up a big umbrella where Cooper could play and be out of the sun. 

“Ross was right there the whole time,” Baygents said.

Michael Baygents, the brother of Justin Ross Harris, testifies at Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

2:13 p.m.

“I think he loved Cooper more than life itself,” Baygents said. 

He was kind to him; he played with him, Harris’ brother said. 

“He was very attentive. That was his little buddy,” Baygents said. Harris wept at the defense table as his brother described his relationship with his son.

2:10 p.m.

The next witness for the defense is Michael Baygents, Harris’ brother. He’s a police officer in Tuscaloosa. 

“I’m very nervous,” Baygents said in response to being asked that by Kilgore. 

“I want you to tell us about how often you would get to see and visit with your brother and Leanna after Cooper’s birth,” Kilgore said. 

Baygents said that he and his wife would visit the couple in Marietta, sometimes bringing their own children with them. 

They visited about six times, staying with Leanna and Harris in their condo. Baygents said he and his wife would stay in Cooper’s room and Cooper would stay in the master bedroom with Harris and Leanna. 

“We took in a Braves game. We went to dinner. We took the kids to different things … just family stuff,” Baygents said about the visits.

2:05 p.m.

Bond said she wanted people to know how much Leanna and Harris both loved their little boy. Everything that’s happened since then has not changed her opinion, Bond said. 

Bond said she didn’t want to talk to the prosecution because she didn’t trust them.

2:04 p.m.

Evans asked Bond if she had a chance to look at the state’s evidence against Harris. No, she replied. 

In regards to how the GMA interview came about, Bond said she had told Zimmerman, “I was very very angry and I mentioned I wished someone would tell the truth.” The attorney said that GMA had contacted him initially to be interviewed.

2 p.m.

Bond said on national TV that Harris and Leanna had a rocky marriage. 

“She knew he had been looking at porn, and she knew he had been messaging other women,” Bond said. 

Was it your decision to go on Good Morning America or was it the defense’s idea, Evans asked.

“I was given the opportunity to speak the truth and I knew I needed to take it,” Bond said. Leanna’s attorney set up the interview. 

“He said I thought I would be the best person to speak the truth about Leanna and Ross,” Bond said.

1:56 p.m.

Bond testified that she talked to Leanna every day after Cooper’s death. She went with Leanna to visit Harris maybe once or twice, she said. 

Bond said she spoke to the defense maybe 7 or 8 times since Cooper’s death and on at least two occasions since Bond arrived in Brunswick. So it’s more like 9 or 10 total. 

Bond said she was not interviewed by an investigator. 

“I’m not trying to be overly critical,” Evans said. The prosecution tried to schedule an interview with her but Bond said she was not going to talk to them. 

"You don’t have a problem talking to the defense,” Evans pointed out. 

Meanwhile, on Sept. 22, 2014, Bond went on Good Morning America to talk about the case.

1:52 p.m.

The prosecution is now cross-examining Bond. 

Bond last saw Leanna and Harris together in March 2014 when they were visiting in Mississippi. 

Bond said Leanna did not like to be the center of attention. Harris was very different, gregarious and outgoing.

1:48 p.m.

Leanna broke down yesterday after testifying at the trial, said Bond, who described her friend as a very private person. 

When Leanna walked into the room where Bond was sitting, she broke down. 

“We could not get her to stop crying,” Bond said. They had to wait 30 minutes before Leanna was ready to leave the courthouse.

1:46 p.m.

“When I first met Ross, the first words out of his mouth were ‘I’m crazy about her and I’m going to marry her,’” 

Harris was very “chatty,” Bond said. He’d talk to the cashier in the grocery store checkout line. 

On the day of Cooper’s death, Leanna left a frantic voicemail on Bond’s phone. When they finally touched base, Leanna told her that Cooper was “gone.” 

“I said what do you mean he’s gone?,” Bond asked. 

Leanna said “I don’t know how we’re going to get through this because Ross is never going to forgive himself,” Bond testified her friend said. 

After Cooper’s death, most of the time Leanna was in a daze but home she was a wreck, Bond said. “She was inconsolable.”

Angie Bond, who identifies herself as one of the best friends of Leanna Taylor, testifies at the murder trial of Justin Ross Harris at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. Bond described how Ross was a loving father to Cooper. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

1:40 p.m.

Bond said she visited the couple in Marietta and they visited her in Mississippi. 

When Bond visited Marietta, they went to the Georgia Aquarium and the Varsity. Cooper was there too. At one point over the long weekend, the two women wanted to go to a movie together while Cooper was at daycare but got the movie time wrong. Leanna called Harris to ask him to pick up Cooper from daycare, which he had no problem with, Bond said. 

“He played with (Cooper) all the time,” Bond said. “He always did funny things to make (Cooper) laugh.” 

He changed diapers and other not as fun things parents have to do, she said. 

“He loved that little boy very much,” Bond said.

1:36 p.m.

The defense called its next witness, Angie Bond, who is a medical technologist in Mississippi. Bond has been best friends with Leanna since high school. 

She met Harris the summer of 2004 when Leanna and he were dating. Bond testified that she was in the wedding party when the couple got married in 2006. 

Bond testified that Leanna really wanted to have a baby. “It took her longer than she’d wanted to, she got really anxious about it,” Bond said. 

They were an excited, expecting couple, Harris included, she testified.

1:32 p.m.

The prosecution is now cross-examining Etienne. 

Harris seemed normal the day of Cooper’s death, not stressed, Etienne testified. They joked about Harris getting in a bit late to work.

1:29 p.m.

The Home Depot coworkers would talk about sports, stuff that came up in the news and other random topics, Etienne said. Harris would sometimes share interesting things he found on Reddit, Etienne testified. 

Etienne said he’d joke with Harris in the mornings about why he didn’t share his tater tots from Chick-fil-A. 

Harris used a lot of police jargon sometimes, Etienne said.

Jelani Etienne, who worked with Justin Ross Harris at Home Depot, testifies at Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. Etienne described how Harris would talk proudly of Cooper. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

1:23 p.m.

The defense called its next witness, Jelani Etienne, who worked with Harris at Home Depot. They were part of the same web development project team. 

Etienne said he sat right behind Harris and got to know him pretty well. “We’d talk about … sports, just any coworker-type topics,” he said. 

Etienne said he remembered the day Harris learned his wife was pregnant. 

“He was happy like sitting on Cloud 9, saying he was going to be a dad,” Etienne said. “When Cooper was born that was all he talked about.”

1:18 p.m.

Court is back in session.

11:51 a.m.

Judge Staley Clark calls for lunch break.

Defense attorney Carlos Rodriguez (left) asks Aundrae Brown, a coworker of Justin Ross Harris, where employees at Home Depot preferred to park their cars at the Treehouse parking lot, during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

11:49 a.m.

Prosecutor Chuck Boring asks Brown whether he recalls saying, in an interview eight days after Cooper's death, that he didn't think Harris was forgetful.

But Brown says Harris was, indeed, forgetful, that he once forgot to fuel up his car and ran out of gas and, as he'd testified earlier, Harris missed deadlines and forgot assignments.

Boring notes that people in the web development group frequently multi-tasked, and Brown agrees. He also asks that, if the defendant was working on his side business -- a hoped-for startup in web development -- on company time, he was violating company policy. Brown says yes.

The prosecutor suggests that perhaps Harris just got lazy toward the end of his time at Home Depot. But Brown says it wasn't just laziness. It was more forgetfulness: he would forget something the two had just talked about 15 minutes before.

Brown also says he was unaware that Harris was texting and emailing women during work hours but concedes that might have been a reason he wasn't getting his work done.

11:42 a.m.

Brown says Harris brought Cooper into the office from time to time. In response to a question, he says Harris would relate "any small thing" about Cooper. He often showed off photos of Cooper -- even when Cooper was just wearing a new shirt or something. Brown's wife just delivered their daughter last week, so he says he finally understands why others seem obsessed with their children. 

Rodriguez passes the witness to the prosecution for cross-examination.

Aundrae Brown, a coworker of Justin Ross Harris at Home Depot, described web development and why developers might clear the cache of a web browser, during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

11:38 a.m.

Brown says he finally told Harris, on June 17, 2014, to finish his project by the end of the day. But he says Harris left work that day without having finished.

Rodriguez asks about Harris' affinity for Chick-fil-A. He says that he and Harris had a running gag about Chick-fil-A, because Harris loved it and Brown just "didn't see the big deal" about it.

Rodriguez has Brown step down into the "well" of the courtroom and shows him an aerial view of the parking area for the Treehouse office building, where they worked.

He asks whether there were any "honey hole" or preferred parking spaces, and Brown responds that spaces that had shade were prized. (Harris parked his SUV in a shaded spot on the day Cooper died.)

11:33 a.m.

Rodriguez asks about a specific project Brown had assigned to Harris and how Harris performed on it.

"So, we were splitting up the tasks, right, so we'd get a bunch of tasks and assign the work," he said. "I thought at the time this would be something that Ross could handle and should be done fairly quickly. We spoke about it, and then it just wasn't getting done. He would be on his phone a lot, or on websites, and the work just wasn't getting done."

11:29 a.m.

Brown says Home Depot is a fun, although not laid back, place to work. Harris is a friendly southern man, he says, and was the sort of person who frequently jumped into other people's conversations. He also says it was common for Harris to talk about things he'd discovered in web searches. He often looked up facts on the Internet as things arose in conversation, Brown says.

He says Harris became less motivated as time went on. 

"There was a time when I used to just ask constantly about certain tasks: is it done, where are we with it?" But he decided that wasn't working and that it would be more effective to ask Harris for progress reports during the daily 9 a.m. team call.

Rodriguez asks whether Harris would duck the 9 a.m. calls. Brown says yes. 

11:22 a.m.

Rodriguez asks Brown whether Home Depot allowed web developers to work on side projects for themselves; Brown says it was fine if they did so on their own time and adds that it was quite common at the company.

The lawyer asks which Internet browser the development team used. 

Google Chrome, he says.

In response to a question, Brown explains that the "web deb" crew makes frequent changes on the web site. Say, he says, you want to change the color on a page from red to blue. He explains that you may not see that change right away because of "caching," in which the browser displays the page it has already loaded. So workers would often "clear cache" to make sure they could see the changes they'd wrought.

Rodriguez asks whether it was suspicious that web developers would clear cache frequently. 

Brown says not at all.

He says Home Depot issues iPhones to web developers so they can test the company's mobile site, and that developers often cleared cache on the phone's Safari browser.

The prosecution has emphasized that Harris cleared cache shortly before Cooper died and implied that he did so deliberately to hide something. 

11:11 a.m.

Next defense witness: Aundrae Brown, who says he worked with Harris for three or four years, on the same team at Home Depot. He is a systems engineer.

Brown says he sat close by Harris's office cube and the two of them worked on the same projects 99 percent of the time. 

Defense attorney Carlos Rodriquez asks whether Brown got to "understand and form an opinion about his work ethic?"

Brown says Harris started as an intern and showed great promise. 

"He did real well. After a while, it kind of started to lag. When he first started, I was asked to look over much of his work. I wasn't expecting much, and it was finished. He did really well as an intern."

11:07 a.m.

Chuck Boring takes the cross-examination of Jason Abdo. 

Boring: If he had this other dark side, if he were doing a lot of things he wasn't supposed to be doing, would that be contrary to the all-American dad and husband he portrayed himself to be? 

The defense objects to the phrase "dark side." And Boring responds by delineating Harris's sexual behaviors: meeting with prostitutes, texting images of genitals back and forth with underage girls.

Boring: Would that be completely different than the defendant you knew?

Abdo says he wasn't aware of any of that, and that would be completely counter to the person he knew. 

Abdo is excused.

Jason Abdo, who worked with Justin Ross Harris and started a new web development business with him, testifies at Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

11:02 a.m.

Abdo says he once asked Ross what it was like to have kids. Abdo said he was only 23 or 24, didn't have a lot of friends who had kids already and wanted to know what it was like.

Abdo said, "We both enjoyed music. He put it in a way I could understand, from a music context. 'As much as you love music, you'll love your kid 100 times more.'"

He says he later recounted that conversation for a Cobb County police detective.

10:57 a.m.

Abdo says the group often met digitally (in a Google hangout) to talk about their proposed enterprise. They met almost every day.

He says Harris was head of development of the company the four called Ninth-hour Development. The company had established an LLC (limited liability corporation) and was already trying to round up clients. 

After Harris's arrest, Abdo says, the three remaining members met and decided they didn't think they could go forward with the company without Harris.

He recalls that he last spoke with Harris on the day before Cooper died, and also on the "G-chat" (Google chat) on the day of his death.

10:50 a.m.

Next defense witness: Jason Abdo of Sandy Springs, a senior manager in web development and technology. 

Abdo says he got to know Harris when both were working at Home Depot. They would often meet in the break room and talk about music they both enjoyed.

He left Home Depot in April 2014 but continued to have daily communications with Harris. He says Ross was asking him to help him and two friends start up a new web development company.

10:46 a.m.

Prosecutor Jesse Evans takes the cross-examination. 

He notes that he and other attorneys met with her at her office, she also had spoken to police and she'd had a phone interview with a defense investigator. 

Evans: It sounds like you had a pretty good relationship with Leanna, in that she was even willing to leasve you with a key to the house.

Nesbit: Correct.

Evans: It wasn't uncommon that you might be tasked to run by the house ...

Nesbit: It was really just to check the cats, to feed the cats when they were out of town.

Evans: The day this actually happened -- June 18, 2014 -- you did receive a call ...  to go over and check the house. ... When you got there, were the police already there?


Nesbit says she joined Leanna at the Harrises' home when she returned from police headquarters that night. She confirms that Leanna wasn't crying.

Joey Nesbit, a neighbor of Justin Ross Harris who sometimes babysat Cooper, testifies during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

10:42 a.m. 

Defense attorney Carlos Rodriguez asks whether Nesbit remembers the last time she babysat for Cooper.

They had gone out for dinner and a movie. When they got home, Leanna and I were in the living room. Ross went back to Cooper's room to check on him.

She says Harris came back into the living room and told the two women to go back to Cooper's room with him.

"When we went back there, Cooper had somehow managed to turn around so his body was resting on the pillows and his head and his arms were resting on the bed. He just looked so cute, Ross just wanted us to see how he was."

10:36 a.m.

A new witness takes the stand: Joey D. Nesbit, from Atlanta, who says she is an admin for a law firm. She says the Harrises were her neighbors and her friends at a condo community in Marietta.

Nesbit says she and Leanna got together to watch "Grey's Anatomy" every week. She says she knew nothing about Harris's secret sex life, nor did Leanna tell her about any intimacy issues in their marriage.

She says she occasionally babysat for the couple, taking care of Cooper, maybe four or five times.

10:32 a.m.

Defense lawyer Maddox Kligore rises for re-direct.

Kilgore: Where do you live now?

Taylor says she lives in northern Alabama.

Kilgore: Do you mind telling people why you moved up there?

Taylor: I moved up there to be close to my new boyfriend.

Kilgore asks her about Harris.

Taylor: He ruined my life. He destroyed my life. I'm humiliated. I may never trust anyone again, because of the things he did. If I never seem him again after this day, that would be fine.

Leanna Taylor, the ex-wife of Justin Ross Harris, returns to the stand for her cross examination during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

10:29 a.m.

Boring refers to an episode in 2012 or 2013 when Harris shut down his computer and told her he was viewing pornography.

Boring: Were you aware that he was actually Skyping with other women at this time?

Taylor: No, sir.

Boring: Were you aware he was sending emails (to women) with him playing guitar or doing sexual things?

Taylor: No.

Boring asks whether she knew he was using Craigslist to contact women and men about sex.

She says no.

10:25 a.m.

During much of this damaging testimony by his ex-wife, Ross Harris has his face downcast, his forehead resting on his left fist. He appears to be wiping away tears.

Boring: You testified that you guys had never had any huge fights. Do you remember writing a letter to Angie Bond, a document that was on your computer?

Taylor: I know about that document.

Boring: Did you remember describing to her that -- you said you couldn't go into detail about it, but it was something that was much worse than an argument. 

Taylor: Do you know when that document was created?

Boring: 2009.

She says she doesn't recall all that she said in the letter.

Boring: You said you knew he wouldn't have an affair on you -- I know he would never commit adultery, is what you said. You wouldn't deny having written something like that?

Taylor: No, I wouldn't deny that.

Boring asks about Harris's experience with erectile dysfunction, which surfaced during direct testimony yesterday.

She says he went to the doctor, was tested and found to have low testosterone levels. Medication improved the condition, she says.

Justin Ross Harris reacts to hearing his ex-wife Leanna Taylor describe how she says Harris ruined her life, during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

10:16 a.m.

Boring: He didn't tell you that day that he'd been messaging women up to 1 p.m.?

Taylor: No. 

Boring then asks whether she knew he sending text of a sexual nature with someone just before 1 p.m.?

Taylor (flaring): I don't know about any of this, and I want to be very clear --

Boring: Judge, I'm going to object to this. It's nonresponsive.

Judge: Sustained.

Taylor: He destroyed my life. I didn't know about these things. 

I'm sorry we have to ask you these questions. ... You talked about your discussions and your problems ... on direct, and unfortunately I have to explore that ... I'm sorry for asking these questions, but I have to do it.

He cites the Whisper message Harris received from a woman complaining that she was tired of being married with kids.

Boring: Did he tell you anything him engaging in a conversation there while he was at Chick-fil-A?


Did he tell you that he was involved in that conversation while he was driving to work with Cooper?


10:09 a.m.

The jury troops back in. Cross-examination of Leanna Taylor by lead prosecutor Chuck Boring continues.

9:46 a.m.

Staley Clark calls for the midmorning break.

Prosecutor Chuck Boring (center) cross examines Leanna Taylor, the ex-wife of Justin Ross Harris, on her second day of testimony, during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

9:40 a.m.

Boring then switches to questions about the rear-facing car seat in which Cooper died. 

Taylor describes the way her son slept, that sometimes his head would loll downward in the car seat (thus making it more difficult to see his head from the front seat). 

Boring: Did you know the defendant on the day of the incident said that you guys switched the car seats at that point because the forward-facing one was more comfortable? 

Taylor: I don’t remember that myself.

9:32 a.m.

Now Boring and Taylor are discussing a beach vacation on which they disagreed: Harris wanted an “adult vacation” while Taylor wanted to take their son. You talked a little about your knowledge of and discussions with the defendant regarding emails and notices about children being left in cars, correct? Yes, because it was a fear of mine. Did youy guys receive emails about PSAs, things like that? I don’t remember receiving any emails like that. 

9:27 a.m.

Boring presses Taylor with questions on the cruise. He asks whether the Harrises would have been looking for a top-of-the-line cruise package. Taylor smiles and says, if she were the one planning the cruise, that wouldn't happen. But if Ross were the one planning it-- he was -- he would likely to be looking at more expensive options'

9:21 a.m.

Boring: You guys were, I'm sure, conscious and worried about money.

Taylor: We weren't living extravagantly. He went back to school later, as an adult. We were getting to the point that we were able to put a little money in savings.

Boring repeats that the couple was trying not to live extravagantly, and Taylor confirms that. He then asks Taylor about the family cruise that her husband wanted to take.

The prosecutor produces a record of texts regarding the cruise.

One, from Harris, says "I want this to happen."

Leanna Taylor, the ex-wife of Justin Ross Harris, returns to the stand for her cross examination during Harris' murder trial at the Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick, Ga., on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. (screen capture via (WSB-TV)) (WSB-TV)

9:14 a.m.

Boring asks Taylor to confirm that her then-husband was unsatisfied with his salary at Home Depot and was hoping to get a job with Chick-fil-A but was not chosen. She does.

He then asks her about Taylor having to increase her hours -- she worked as a dietician -- and whether Harris was unhappy about that.

"He knew that was not what I wanted," she said.

Boring suggests that Harris also didn't want to shoulder more responsibility at home.

But Taylor says that wasn't the case.

9:05 a.m.

Boring recalls the "did you say too much comment." He says, "Objectively, that looked odd?"

Taylor acknowledges that it did.

This is a reference to a comment Taylor made to her then-husband when she met with him in the interrogation room at police headquarters. She asked, "Did you say too much?"

Boring asks how many times she has met with defense attorneys for Harris. 

She says she doesn't have a count. 

Boring: Have you met with them since you've been down here.

Taylor: Yes.

Boring: Did you meet with them last night?

Taylor: No. 

He asks whether she reviewed anything last night in preparation for her testimony today. She says she wanted to review the transcript of her interview but then says she couldn't read it, indicating that it was too painful.

Boring implies that she received some coaching from the defense, saying the defense team told her about the questions it would ask and what the prosecution was likely to ask.

8:59 a.m.

Boring: You said you've gone back and watched the interviews of you (with police), and you didn't recognize that person, right?

Taylor: I did not recognize myself, that's correct.

Boring: At the time, it looked suspicious at the time, didn't it?

Taylor: It was odd.

Boring concedes that, from this remove, her behavior might be explainable, but notes that at the time it wasn't a surprise that investigators viewed her reactions with suspicion. Taylor does not disagree.

Boring: You said nobody had told you up to that point where Cooper was. That's not true is it?

Taylor: Nobody told me where Cooper was. That I can remember.

Boring: (At the Treehouse office building, you met with Det. Stockinger.) Do you remember that he actually told you, he volunteered it to you, that Coper was going to be going to the medical examiner's office.

Taylor: I didn't remember it ... it's very difficult for me to listen to. I just don't remember that specific part. 

Boring persists, saying her earlier statement that nobody told her where Cooper was, was incorrect.

Taylor agrees. 

8:47 a.m.

Judge Mary Staley Clark orders the jury brought in and asks prosecutor Chuck Boring to resume his cross-examination of Leanna Taylor.

More from AJC