Participating in the 2017 AJC Peachtree Road Race? Now you can snag a pair of custom race-themed sneakers to commemorate the big day.
The Peachtree Wave Rider 20, which dons all of Atlanta’s popular skylines — downtown, Midtown and Buckhead — was created by footwear company Mizuno, its second year creating the exclusive AJC Peachtree Road Race shoe.
The inspiration for the kicks comes directly from the iconic Atlanta tradition of running the AJC Peachtree Road Race on Independence Day, Mizuno running brand manager Chris Hollis told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
In addition to the skyscrapers, the red-white-and-blue shoe features fireworks, the official AJC Peachtree Road Race logo and a cutout of the state of Georgia.
And only less than 5 percent of the race’s 60,000 runners will be able to grab a pair of the shoes.
Here’s what you need to know about the Peachtree Wave Rider 20 and how to get your hands on a pair:
- There are only about 3,000 pairs.
- Each pair costs $130.
- How to buy:
- April 21: Pre-sale begins at Big Peach Running Co.
- May 1: Additional pre-sale begins at other specialty retailers
- June 1: Shoes officially in market at Big Peach Running Co. and other specialty retailers, including the Mizuno Experience Center at SunTrust Park and mizunousa.com
- Expo: Mizuno will be saving some pairs for registered AJC Peachtree Road Race runners who attend the Expo.
Last year, according to Hollis, the first edition sold out about two weeks before race day.
Though Mizuno is selling the same number of sneakers as last year, Hollis expects this edition to be even more competitive.