- By Becca J. G. Godwin The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
By summer’s end, seven Fulton County libraries will cease operations for months. Some likely won’t reopen until next year.
But when they do, guests can expect to find the branches improved with items like new HVAC systems, upgraded technology, better layouts and new shelving. The closures are part of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System’s large-scale renovation project.
Gabriel Morley, the library system’s executive director, acknowledged that the closures will bring “some inconvenience,” but said the result will be “well worth it.”
“We look forward to completing the renovations as quickly as possible and re-opening beautifully renovated libraries that can serve their communities more efficiently,” Morley said in a press release.
The Sandy Springs, Southwest Atlanta, Kirkwood and Washington Park libraries will close on August 8. The Dogwood, Roswell and West End libraries will close August 21.
Exterior construction has already begun. Renovations are expected to take three to nine months, depending on the size and scope.
The East Point and Fairburn branches closed for renovations earlier this month.
Fulton County has contracted Hogan Construction and McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture & Chasm Architecture to provide design, engineering and construction management services for these projects. Heery/Russell is the program management team.
During construction, library service will be available at the following nearby locations.
For Sandy Springs and Roswell libraries:
• East Roswell Library, 2301 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell
• Alpharetta Library, 10 Park Plaza, Alpharetta
• Milton Library, 855 Mayfield Road, Milton
• Buckhead Library, 269 Buckhead Ave. NE, Atlanta
For Dogwood, Southwest, Kirkwood, Washington Park and West End libraries:
• Metropolitan Library, 1332 Metropolitan Parkway, Atlanta
• Southeast Library, 1463 Pryor Road, Atlanta
• Wolf Creek Library, 3100 Enon Road, Atlanta
• South Fulton Library, 4055 Flat Shoals Road, Union City
Closure dates are subject to change. For updates on the renovation project, click here or call the renovation hotline at 404-613-7323.
In other news: