Gwinnett County has confirmed its first human case of West Nile Virus this season.
There are now three suspected human cases statewide.
Sbarge spoke with Pilar Lujan and her daughter Tuesday at Shorty Howell Park in Duluth. Lujan said she had no idea about a new case from the Gwinnett County Health Department.
"I didn't know that, but it's important information," Lujan said."Now we need to be careful."
Health officials want people to be on the lookout for mosquitos. Last month, dozens of the insects tested positive for the virus. The DeKalb Board of Health says there are three confirmed or probable human cases statewide.
"The problem is kids," Desmond Carlile, another Gwinnett resident, told Sbarge."You have newborn kids and you can’t determine and know when a mosquito is going be on them you know. Nobody knows, you’re only gonna feel that bite.”
Officials say if you have to go outside, use insect repellent with DEET and make sure to get rid of any standing water near your home or business.
Lujan said she's going to spread the word to family and friends and will take more precautions.
“I think put a bug spray on, keep at home in the evening time," Lujan said.
For privacy reasons, Gwinnett County did not release details about the victim but said that person is recovering.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.