Crews begin filling massive Marietta sinkhole

Dan Conn, Marietta public works director made the announcement Thursday evening.

Crews began working Thursday morning to fill in a massive sinkhole that swallowed a large chunk of a front yard in Marietta.

“The last I had heard the hole had been filled in up to the roadway surface and was being filled to the base of the house,” he said.

A steady stream of dump trucks ferried a sand/cement mixture from a Kennesaw quarry to the home in the 1100 block of Charlton Trace.

Workers at the site estimated it would take 180 truckloads to fill in the hole, which developed earlier this week.

“There is no definitive cause yet for the sinkhole,” Dan Conn, Marietta public works director, said in a statement.

Conn told the AJC earlier this week he believed the mine shaft dates back to the 1800s.

The sinkhole forced the homeowner to evacuate and swallowed three trees. Tuesday morning it measured 30 feet wide, 40 feet long and nearly 25 feet deep.

The homeowner has declined to comment on the situation.

Consultants recommend the homeowner fill and cover the sinkhole immediately and are working to come up with long-term advice, along with “contingency plans” to guarantee that water and power services not be affected in the event that the hole worsens.

Surging rainwater is the most common cause of sinkholes. However, Conn said they are not sure rain is the cause of this sinkhole.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.