Monday marks one year since New Birth Missionary Baptist Church senior pastor Eddie L. Long died after battling an aggressive form of cancer.
He died at the age of 63.
Long became the Lithonia megachurch’s senior pastor in 1987, when the congregation had only 300 members. The church had grown to more than 25,000 members by 2010.
Throughout his tenure with New Birth, Long became an influential, yet controversial figure in the Atlanta community following sexual abuse accusations.
Here is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s previous coverage on the life and death of Long.
- Bishop Eddie Long dies of aggressive form of cancer, church says
- Who was Bishop Eddie Long?
- Photos: Bishop Eddie Long through the years
- Atlantans mourn Bishop Eddie Long’s death
- Men who sued Eddie Long for sexual misconduct address bishop’s death
- Photos: Funeral for Bishop Eddie Long
- Eddie Long’s family, T.D. Jakes, Deion Sanders and more paid tribute during funeral
- A thin Eddie Long tells church that the devil wanted him to stay home
- New Birth names pastor to succeed Eddie Long