- Number of members in your household
- Age of each household member
- Gluten-free or meatless dietary needs for each household member
- Number of meals each household member eats out (or orders from takeout) each week
After you enter the information, you’ll be shown two amounts that make up a moderate grocery budget:
- A weekly grocery cost
- A monthly grocery cost
To see other cost outcomes, Mint’s grocery budget calculator allows you to choose different lifestyles including “Thrifty,” “Cost-Conscious” and “Generous.”
How Much Should Your Monthly Grocery Budget Be?
Here is a chart from Mint that shows the monthly grocery budget it suggests. Compare the chart below to the total you got using the grocery budget calculator.
||Suggested Monthly Budget
When I put my information into the calculator, it said that my household should spend around $522 a month on food. That’s pretty good, considering that it’s a little cheaper than what the table suggests for a two people.
What about you? Is the monthly grocery budget for your family size higher than the amount listed above? If so, here are some ways you can save:
- Look for promotions on daily deals and coupon code sites.
- Choose store brand items over name brands.
- Download grocery apps that offer cash back on purchases.
For more tips, check out Team Clark's guide to save money on groceries.
More Ways to Save From Clark.com:
The post How Much Your Monthly Grocery Budget Should Be appeared first on Clark Howard.