- Linda Jerkins For the AJC
As the daughter of Atlanta designer, Clary Bosbyshell often accompanied her mother on trips to antique markets, showrooms and art galleries. While the mother-daughter team often work together, Bosbyshell has carved out her own smart style. See some of her work in the “Home for the Holidays Showhouse,” open now through Dec. 10.
Designer & background: An Atlanta native, Bosbyshell graduated from the University of Georgia and studied design in Cortona, Italy. During college, she worked at the Brunschwig & Fils showroom in the Atlanta Decorative Arts Center (ADAC). After college, she worked in fashion merchandising in Savannah for a year. In 2009, she joined Atlanta-based Margaux Interiors Limited, founded in 1982 by her mother Margaret Bosbyshell.
Big break: Making the June 2017 cover of Atlanta Homes & Lifestyle.
Claim to fame: Chosen by ADAC “as one to watch” in 2009.
Every room needs: A beautiful antique or two.
Design pet peeves: Horizontal mirrors; curtains that are too long; and wrinkled dust skirts.
Current design obsession(s): Blue and white; block print fabrics; and scenic mural wallpaper.
New (or re-emerging) designs I like: Chintz.
… and looks I am glad to see go: The Greek key motif; some lattice prints and the whole grey trend.
Most unusual request: Design a space for eight cats.
Fun (or unusual) I have designed: An office for Lake Pajamas, a women’s pajama/loungewear collection in Savannah.
Biggest design mistake I have made: When measuring for a rug in a new build project, I did not take into account the projection of the bookcases. Luckily, the rug was a sisal and could be cut to fit.
… and biggest (or common) mistake homeowners make: Not scaling furniture to the room
Designer challenges: Custom furniture lead times and designing rooms that have a lot of doors or openings.
- Blogs or websites: La Dolce Vita blog; Quintessence blog; and Lacquered Life.
- Instagram: aerin; markdsikes; cabanamagazine; bunnywilliamshome; and milesredd.
- Atlanta-area home/design shops: Serena & Lily; Bungalow Classic; Mrs. Howard; Max & Company; Webb-Marsteller; and Acquisitions. Also antique stores, such as Parc Monceau and FoxGlove Antiques.
- Places for unexpected finds: Chairish.com; Everything but the House (ebth.com); and Viyet.com. Amazing sites for buying vintage, new and antique furniture and accessories at great prices!
- Recent project: A redo of a Neel Reid-designed house in Buckhead.
- Up next: Working with architect Ross Piper and Paces Builder Group and a new client building their dream home in Chastain Park.
Find Clary Bosbyshell at:
· Website: margauxinteriorslimited.com
· Facebook: Margaux Interiors Limited
· Instagram: clarybosbyshell
Home for the Holidays Showhouse
10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday-Saturday. 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Through Dec. 10. $30. Atlantaholidayhome.com