Jumichael Ramos switched his commitment from Georgia Tech to N.C. State on Monday.
The 6-foot-4 wide receiver from Lovejoy High School made his decision after returning from a last-minute official visit to N.C. State over the weekend. Ramos was the third commitment that Georgia Tech has lost since Thursday.
“That’s the deal,” Lovejoy coach Al Hughes told the AJC. “All I know is that he came in this morning and he gave me a hat that said N.C. State on it. He was wearing a red N.C. State hat. I’m assuming it must’ve been a good visit.
“Yes, that what he said he wanted to do, to sign with N.C. State. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him in any details. I had things going on with other recruiters. I told him to stop by and see me later. He sounded positive and upbeat about everything.”
Hughes said he talked to Georgia Tech’s coaches about the news. “I heard from (assistant) Buzz Preston. He just asked me if Jumichael decided to go to N.C. State. I said, ‘Yes, I believe he did.’ And that was the end of it.”
The Lovejoy coach said it was a challenging situation for both Georgia Tech and Ramos, but commended the Yellow Jackets. It was touchy for both sides because Lovejoy has another player, star tailback Travis Custis, who will sign with Georgia Tech on Wednesday.
“Georgia Tech has been nothing but professional with us,” Hughes said. “I can’t imagine them being any other way. They’ve always been very cordial to us in every way.
“All of these kids are having tough decisions to make. They’re all trying to make it based on good reasons. We try to help them from our end the best we can. I have never and will never tell a kid where he ought to go to school. It’s their lives and their decisions to make.”
Last Thursday, Hillgrove High School defensive back Tolando Cleveland switched from Georgia Tech to Mississippi State. A day later, Aquinas running back Brendan Douglas flipped from the Yellow Jackets to archrival UGA.
Another Georgia Tech commit, QB Damon "Duwop" Mitchell, took a last-minute official visit to Arkansas over the weekend. He’s still listed as committed to the Yellow Jackets.
Georgia Tech also gained a commitment on Sunday, flipping Temple LB commit Paul Davis of Cairo High School.
Georgia Tech has had four de-commitments in its 2013 class, while UGA has had five. Signing day is Wednesday.
THE BIG PICTURE
HOT OFF THE PRESSES
- Lovejoy WR Jumichael Ramos flips from Georgia Tech to NC State
- Georgia Tech and UGA still contenders for in-state star
- Top UGA target tweets photo with "bong" while visiting Oregon
- Q&A with RB who switched from Georgia Tech to UGA
- UGA RB target makes "secret visit" to Alabama ... Should Bulldogs be worried?
- Georgia Tech ... does some FLIPPING of its own, lands Temple commit
- Alabama RB commit Tyren Jones of Walton HS suffers ... broken jaw in altercation
- UGA steals RB away from Georgia Tech at the last minute
- DESPERATION? UGA ships out last-minute scholarship to OL
- Do you want Paul Johnson's opinion on Georgia Tech commits visiting other schools?
WITHIN THE LAST FEW DAYS
- Sleeper OL will visit Arizona State over Georgia Tech and Tennessee
- Clemson and Tennessee make LAST-MINUTE OFFER for Georgia QB
- Confirmed: Georgia Tech WR commit to visit ... NC State on final weekend
- New Georgia Tech commit will get chance to play .... QB
- Longtime Georgia Tech commit ... flips ... to Mississippi State
- BIG NEWS for Georgia Tech ... Nation's No 2-ranked football recruit now considering GT
- 2nd Georgia Tech commit ... maybe visiting ELSEWHERE on final weekend
- Top UGA target ... DE-COMMITS from FSU ... and UGA is in driver's seat
- UGA 5-star target is "confused" and other notes, etc.
- Shhhhhh .... Recruits on "secret" visits
- AJC's Mr. Georgia Football visits UGA and ranks it as a "9" ... that's higher than Alabama
- It's Tennessee, Clemson or Auburn ... for 5-star
- Ex-Georgia Tech football recruit ... finds a new home, per report
- High school coach gets prank calls after recruit and Georgia Tech part ways
IF YOU CAN'T GET ENOUGH
- Robert Nkemdiche ... No. 1 from start to FINISH
- Georgia's Top 5 recruiting stories to follow ... with two bonuses
- Coach of ex-Georgia Tech recruit on ... what went wrong
- UGA RB commits calls stories about fake Notre Dame visit a "misunderstanding"
- Ex-UGA football recruit ... SWITCHES to Clemson
- Nick Saban makes people CRY
- Mark Richt to the RESCUE ... coach SECURES top DB for the Bulldogs
- 5 Georgia recruits flying under the radar
- Former UGA football player ... commits to ARCHRIVAL Auburn ... and to play QB!
- RECAP of Georgia Tech's BIGGEST recruiting weekend of year
- Will Robert Nkemdiche and his best friend go separate ways for college?
- Georgia football recruits ... ON THE RISE, ON THE FALL
- Recruit's father on Tommy Tuberville: "It's a bad situation"
- State's top 5 prospects for 2014
- How can UGA sign 30-35 recruits under the SEC's new over-signing rules? Is it legal and how?