After a slow start, UGA has enjoyed a sizzling summer on the recruiting trail. The Bulldogs landed the nation’s No. 1-rated JC cornerback over Ole Miss on Friday in a story you can read about HERE.
UGA has rocketed all the way up to No. 2 in the 247sports rankings, trailing only Alabama. The Bulldogs are at No. 7 by Rivals, No. 5 by ESPN, and No. 3 by Scout. UGA has 17 commitments and could sign between 21-23 in February.
Other weekend notes:
- Tucker High School safety Kirk Tucker committed to Stanford over the weekend. Also, Tucker defensive tackle Elisha Shaw, who was sidelined for the most of the offseason with knee surgery, has more more injury woes. The 6-foot-5 Shaw will be out for three weeks with a neck injury, according to Keith Niebuhr of 247sports The 4-star has Alabama, UGA and Ole Miss as his leaders.
- The NCAA has interviewed 5-star Chris Jones about his recruitment by Ole Miss, according to CBSSports.com. Jones signed with Mississippi State last February after a late flirtation with Ole Miss. If you remember, Jones told ESPN he got death threats during the intense recruiting battle. There’s a lot of Ole Miss haters for the team’s ridiculous success with recruiting in 2013 (consensus Top 5 class). Coach Hugh Freeze got so fed up with cheating accusations that he publicly challenged anyone on Twitter with knowledge of a recruiting wrongdoing to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The second-best football signee from Georgia Tech’s 2013 class will not be with the team this season. Lovejoy High School running back Travis Custis won’t be in school this semester due to NCAA Clearinghouse issues, according to coach Paul Johnson. Johnson expects Custis to be back with the Yellow Jackets in January.
- Another elite JC prospect, defensive tackle DaVonte Lambert, will announce on Tuesday between Tennessee (slight favorite), Florida and Auburn. At the beginning of the summer, UGA was the leader for the former Burke County High School standout.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Injured Alabama football player ... joins new team, practices immediately
- Closer look at UGA's No. 1 recruit on defense
- Nation's No. 1 JC cornerback commits to UGA
- Ex-UGA football recruit ... will play at The U!
- Who made the cut for state's No. 1 prospect? UGA? Alabama? Notre Dame? And what went wrong with Ohio State and Clemson?
- UGA out of race ... for DE target
THE LATEST RECRUITING HEADLINES
- Son of former UGA football player commits to ... Georgia Tech
- Nick Saban clears up confusion over Alabama grayshirt
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones angers high school coach with recruiting
- 5-star Alabama football signee posts pics with wads of $$$$$$
- Good news for UGA with 5-star Raekwon McMillan
READING MATERIAL WHILE IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE ...
- Star recruit apologizes to UGA fans for comments
- UGA QB recruit on turning down Nick Saban, almost committing to Auburn, and his new-found fame after Elite 11 QB camp
- State's No. 1 prospect likes Mark Richt's Christian beliefs
- Can Clemson hold on to Georgia's top recruits this time around?
- A Mother's Perspective on Recruiting: Trolled on Twitter
THE LOCAL BOYS