Powered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Web Search by YAHOO!
 
The Biz Beat

Posted: 2:09 p.m. Monday, Sept. 23, 2013

BlackBerry to be sold for $4.7 billion 

  • comment(9)

Related

BlackBerry photo
A Q5 smartphone device, manufactured by Blackberry, recently was on display on the company's stand at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin, Germany. (KRISZTIAN BOCS/BLOOMBERG).

By Christopher Seward

BlackBerry has found a buyer, the company said Monday.

The company will be sold for $4.7 billion to a group lead by its largest shareholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings, according to a press release. BlackBerry Chairwoman Barbara Stymiest, however, said the Canadian company will also entertain other offers before it seals its deal with Fairfax.

It will be the latest chapter in the gradual unraveling of a business that once led the pack in smartphone technology, but has lost much of the ground in recent years to operating systems powered by Google's Android and Apple's iOS, the latest of which was released last week.

Just this past Friday, BlackBerry confirmed reports that it will lay off 4,500 workers, or 40 percent of its work force,  by the end of the year and will post a quarterly loss of $1 billion. The company also said it will produce only four smartphones instead of six.

"We believe this transaction will open an exciting new private chapter for BlackBerry, its customers, carriers and employees," said Fairfax Chairman Prem Watsa in a statement. "We can deliver immediate value to shareholders, while we continue the execution of a long-term strategy in a private company with a focus on delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions to BlackBerry customers around the world."

The deal with Fairfax will take the company private, which one Morningstar analyst, Brian Colello, told CNBC will allow BlackBerry to reinvent itself without public scrutiny.

"So we won't see any of these warnings or earnings releases that do nothing but disappoint investors. The company can go ahead with its strategy, as it pleases, that's a positive," Colello told CNBC.

The consortium led by Fairfax would acquire for cash all of the outstanding shares of BlackBerry not held by Fairfax, a Canadian company that already owns 10 percent of BlackBerry.

Do you think BlackBerry now has the opportunity to regain ground lost to devices running on iOS and Android?

My YahooRSS

About Christopher Seward

Christopher Seward is a South Carolina native and Atlanta journalist who has worked at the AJC since 1989.

Connect with Christopher Seward on:Twitter

Send Christopher Seward an email.

  • comment(9)

 

Today on MyAJC.com

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Native Americans are said to have created the first scarecrows on these shores to protect their corn crops from the scavenging black birds.

Paul Howard

DA’s spending of federal forfeiture money in question

Finances of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office were in such chaos in recent years that even its most basic bills went unpaid.

Comments  (8)  

myajc logo 300x225

New 24-hour Digital Pass: Sample all of MyAJC.com for 99 cents

With a 24-hour digital pass, you can enjoy full versions of premium articles, news updates and access to the AJC online archives.