- Najja Parker The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Tattoos aren’t uncommon, but one woman’s unusual tattoo session went terribly wrong when she nearly went blind after getting her eye inked.
Caitlin Gallinger, 24, from Canada, recently took to social media to share what happened when she attempted to tint the white of her eye, or sclera, purple.
According to her Facebook post, the tattoo artist did not dilute the ink and used too much of it, which brought on an infection.
She claims she properly followed post-care instructions, but felt intense pain shortly after her appointment.
After rushing to the hospital, she was prescribed antibiotic eye drops for about a week, but things worsened and her eye had swollen completely shut. Apparently, the medicine spread the infection, causing a clump around her cornea.
Now, Gallinger has to see a specialist and is “at risk of being blind if it doesn’t get corrected,” she wrote.
She continues to post updates of her condition on her page.
On Friday, she said she was still on medication, which includes pain meds and steroid drops, and there is still a lot of build-up in her eye. However, she said her “eyesight is still holding so that's good.”
She’s also looking towards surgery to remove any excess ink and is warning others to do their research before going under the needle.
“I am NOT sharing this with you to cause trouble, I am sharing this to warn you to research who you get your procedures by as well as how the procedure should be properly done,” she said. “Just please be cautious who you get your mods from and do your research. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.”View full experience