A recently recovered Civil War cannon is believed to be one of several that once stood guard in Atlanta’s Grant Park. Some can be found in the Cyclorama building and at the state capitol, but the fate of the others is uncertain. Cannons are not the only items that have disappeared from the park over the years. The Grant Park Conservancy, which has worked to restore the park, also has its eye out for these:
» A 12-foot stone marker that honored the park’s namesake, Col. Lemuel Grant, was erected in 1910. News reports from 1917 say the city disliked the monument’s design. The Grant family agreed to remove it. (The city planned to replace it with an archway that was never built. The conservancy plans to erect such an arch in the future.)
» A pair of stone lions that stood at one of the park’s entrances. They have vanished without a trace.
» A bronze sculpture of a stag. A photo from the late 1800s shows the statue in the park.
» A sculpture of an angel. Atlantans once drew water from five springs in the park. One of them was marked by this statue. At some point, it apparently took wing.
» A sundial that once decorated the area outside the swimming pool. Only the stone base remains.