Posted: 6:01 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013
By Katie Leslie
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Staff writer Alexis Stevens contributed to this article.
Weapons Carry Permit Applications: Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Percent change
Fulton: 526, 732, 39%
Clayton: 2,000, n/a, n/a
Cobb: 642, 1212, 89%
DeKalb: 284, 398, 40%
Gwinnett:522, 1082, 107%
Source: County probate courts.
Georgia Gun Laws
• In general, the only people prohibited from possessing guns are felons, felony probationers and people younger than 18 (except that minors may possess guns for hunting);
• However, civilians must register certain weapons with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, including sawed-off shotguns, sawed-off rifles, fully automatic machine guns and silencers.
License to carry
• In general, it is unlawful for a person to carry a handgun outside his home, car or place of business without a license;
• Probate judges in each county are responsible for issuing licenses to carry;
• After fingerprinting and a background check, licenses are available to persons 21 or older;
• The exceptions are fugitives, persons with certain pending criminal charges, convicted felons, certain people who have been hospitalized in mental hospitals or drug treatment centers, and persons convicted of certain drug offenses.
• In general, the law does not distinguish between concealed and unconcealed carry.