For another day, Finch Elementary School students and teachers will be visitors to another campus.
Tuesday, Atlanta Public School officials announced that Finch will remained closed Wednesday as school is conducted at nearby Kennedy Middle School.
Finch was evacuated Monday morning after dozens of children and a handful of adults were sickened by carbon monoxide.
Again, Finch buses will be rerouted to Kennedy, and students who normally walk to Finch, or whose parents drive their children to school, boarded buses at their temporarily closed campus for the three-mile ride to Kennedy.
One of those parents dropping off children at Finch Tuesday morning was Latasha Martin, who has four children at the school.
Martin was upset to learn that there were no carbon monoxide detectors at Finch, nor were any required.
“If I have three [detectors] in my home, why should you have none in the school?” Martin asked. “They say [detectors] are not required in the school, but they should be, with all those kids.”
Martin said she wasn’t just concerned about the safety of her two fifth-graders, fourth-grader and kindergartner.
“I’m worried about everybody else’s children,” she said.
“I couldn’t’ get here fast enough yesterday,” Martin said. “I didn’t want to cry, but you didn’t know how many kids could have died yesterday.”
Troy Lightfoot told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he was doing a morning assignment in his fifth-grade class Monday “and we heard the bell. We thought it as a drill, then we saw all the police cars and fire trucks everywhere.”
Lightfoot said a couple of his classmates “said they felt a little dizzy or their head was hurting.”
“They were taken to the hospital because I guess they consumed some of the gas,” he said.