Storms that dumped heavy rain and brought down a few trees across metro Atlanta Sunday night had tapered off to drizzle by the Monday morning commute, but much of the state, including the metro area, remains under a flash flood watch through Monday night.
Channel 2 Action News meteorologist Karen Minton said overnight rainfall totals ranged from about a half-inch to nearly 2 inches. Another 1 to 2 inches of rain could fall across north Georgia through Monday night, Minton said.
Trees were reported down early Monday in several locations, including on Dresden Drive in Dekalb County, on Lenox Road near Robin Lane in northeast Atlanta and on Lockhaven Circle in southwest Atlanta.
Georgia Power reported that about 6,000 customers, mostly in metro Atlanta, were without electricity before daybreak Monday.
Minton’s forecast calls for a 40 percent chance of rain Monday, increasing to 60 percent Tuesday. The chance of rain is 40 percent Wednesday and Thursday and 30 percent Friday.
Temperatures this week will begin feeling more like summer, Minton said, with highs climbing from the upper 70s Monday to around 87 degrees by Friday.
Enjoy expanded coverage of college football for UGa, Tech and the SEC, with our SEC Insider, covering all Southeastern Conference matchups and articles by AJC staff and regional newspapers that cover the SEC.