A father and daughter jumped from the second floor of their East Point home to escape an early morning blaze that may have started when Christmas tree lights were plugged into an extension cord and left on overnight, officials said.
East Point firefighters responded to the home at 1419 Gus Thornhill, Junior Drive at 2:56 a.m. Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the two-story wood-frame home, according to East Point fire department spokeswoman Renita T. Shelton.
The man and his 16-year-old daughter, who officials did not identify, were outside when firefighters arrived. They said they both jumped from a second story window after being awakened by a smoke alarm, Shelton said. The father landed safely. The daughter complained of arm pain and was transported to Egleston Children’s Hospital.
Firefighters arrived on scene at 3:01 a.m.. They extinguished the fire by around 3:09 a.m. About 50 percent of the home was damaged, Shelton said.
Relive the action, drama and triumphs of the entire SEC football season. Fifteen game day posters, one from each week of the SEC’s unpredictable season — from Georgia’s highs and lows to Auburn’s improbable last-minute heroics.