A day after a father and son were killed by carbon monoxide fumes, East Point firefighters hit the streets Thursday to help prevent a similar tragedy.
Sederick Baliem, 40, and his Sederick Baliem III, 11, were both found dead inside a Graywall Street home Wednesday afternoon when a relative when to the home to check on the family, police said.
Investigators believe the electricity to the home had been shut off, and the family was using a generator indoors to heat the home. The generator released carbon monoxide fume into the home, which is believed to have killed the two.
Two other children in the home, a 13-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl, were sickened by the fumes and remained hospitalized Thursday.
While family members mourned the loss of the the father and son, firefighters returned to the street to educate others to the dangers of carbon monoxide. They distributed 100 detectors while educating residents.
“Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and it doesn’t produce anything visual,” East Point Fire Chief Rosemary Cloud told Channel 2 Action News. “In fact, it just lulls you into a sleep so it’s extremely dangerous and the only way that any of us would know, is if we had a monitor inside the house.”
Funeral arrangements for the Baliems have not yet been advanced.
Enjoy expanded coverage of college football for UGa, Tech and the SEC, with our SEC Insider, covering all Southeastern Conference matchups and articles by AJC staff and regional newspapers that cover the SEC.
A Jackson County teenager’s death was ruled a homicide, the GBI said Friday.Cheyanne N. Hair, 16, of Jefferson, died Wednesday night at Athens Regional Hospital, where she was transported by ambulance from her Jefferson home, according to police.