Krystal Sepulveda (left) and Chelsea Sitten (center) help a fellow resident (who declined to be identified) salvage personal belongings outside his gutted home after an early morning fire at Victory Apartments in Atlanta destroyed two buildings on Sunday, Dec. 23, 2012.
A space heater may have started an early morning fire at a Midtown apartment complex that displaced at least six families, authorities said.
Investigators found marijuana plants growing inside one of the units at the Victory Group Apartments on Peachtree Place.
The Red Cross is assisting eight adults and two children who were displaced by the fire, which broke out around 3 a.m., police said.
Investigators said one of the apartment residents had been using a space heater.
The man, who would not give his name, told Channel 2 Action News that he was using the space heater that caused the fire. He said he lost everything. He said his wife of 40 years died three years ago and now every sentimental treasure from their life together was gone.
“First units arrived on the scene. There was a fire reported on unit 6 on the first floor,” Atlanta Fire Battalion Chief Bryant Tate told Channel 2.
“I just heard people banging on the door screaming, ‘Help.’ That’s all I could hear and when I opened the door, it was just pitch black dark,” resident Brittany Watkins told Channel 2.
As emergency personnel made sure everyone was out safely, they found marijuana plants growing in buckets in one of the apartments.
Investigators have not said if an arrest has been made for the marijuana plants, according to Channel 2.
After a rough week in Washington, President Barack Obama came to rainy Atlanta on Sunday to be with a friendlier crowd, becoming the first sitting president to give the commencement address at Morehouse College.