A 5-year-old boy was probably in big trouble Thursday night after setting his grandmother’s house on fire in Cherokee County.
Firefighters were called to Blake Drive home, located in the Copper Hills subdivision off Knox Bridge Highway, shortly after 2 p.m., according to Tim Cavender, spokesman for the Cherokee County fire department. They arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the two-story home, he said.
Investigators determined that the fire started in a bedroom, where the homeowner’s 5-year-old grandson admitted he’d been playing with a cigarette lighter, Cavender said.
“The little boy came screaming out of his room that the house was on fire,” Cavender said in an emailed statement. “The grandmother stated that she threw a bucket of water on the fire, but the fire was too large for the water to do any good.”
A portion of the house was damaged by smoke, fire and water, but firefighters prevented any major damage, Cavender said. No one was injured.
DeKalb County has been lax in its oversight of spending by elected commissioners, and some officials frequently paid for items on their government debit cards without submitting required receipts, according to an audit released Thursday.
See Flashback Fotos on myajc.com for only 99 cents. Visit the MyAJC archives for a historic look at Atlanta from Midtown in the 70s to Auburn Avenue and even life here before traffic jams on the interstates.