Powered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Web Search by YAHOO!
 

Updated: 3:43 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 | Posted: 10:01 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013

Atlanta man, 34, fatally shot; police suspect argument escalated to gunfire

By Nancy Badertscher

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta police are investigating an early morning fatal shooting.

Police said they responded about 6:30 a.m. to reports of a person shot in the area of 579 Boulevard.

At the scene, they found a man who had been shot at least one time in the chest.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. He was identified by the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office as Leon Carr, 34, of Atlanta.

A preliminary investigation indicates the shooting may have been the result of an earlier argument that escalated into gunfire, Atlanta Police Department spokesman John Chafee said.

No arrests had been made as of 10 a.m., but homicide investigators were following up on several leads, Chafee said.

More News

 

Today on MyAJC.com

Hotoberfest kicks off another season of beer festivals

Hotoberfest kicks off season of beer festivals

Looking for something to do this weekend? If you are a beer lover, you might want to check out Hotoberfest 2013 at Historic Fourth Ward Park on North Avenue.

APS superintendent: Close 13 schools

Image hurts, helps in search for new superintendent

The hunt for a new leader of Atlanta Public Schools has picked up steam, with superintendent candidates being targeted from across the country to replace Erroll Davis, who will retire next year.

myajc logo 300x225

New 24-hour Digital Pass: Sample all of MyAJC.com for 99 cents

With a 24-hour digital pass, you can enjoy full versions of premium articles, news updates and access to the AJC online archives.

Today's top news on ajc.com