Boiling water sleepover prank leaves another teen with severe burns

0

Boiling water sleepover prank leaves another teen with severe burns

The so-called “Hot Water Challenge” sent another teenager to the hospital after a friend tossed boiling water on him during a sleepover. 

Nickolas Conrad, 15, of Arkansas, suffered first and second degree burns on his neck after friends heated the water in the microwave and poured it on him at 3 a.m., according to KARK-TV

“Burning, screaming, flesh rolled off” is how Mickey Conrad described her son’s injuries to KARK.

“Thank God it wasn't his face ... his eyes.” 

While Conrad will recover from his injuries, the “hot water challenge” appears to have played a role in the death of an 8-year-old Florida girl.

Ki’ari Pope drank boiling water through a straw on a dare after viewing a YouTube video of a similar prank with her cousin. The girl later died from her injuries. 

Two other children, ages 10 and 11, have also been hospitalized after trying to emulate the pranks seen in YouTube videos, according to New York Magazine

“It's a real thing. It is not a joke or prank,” Conrad told KARK. “It's cruel and it's criminal.”

A photo of water boiling in a glass carafe on a gas ring.  Eye Ubiquitous/UIG via Getty Images
View Comments 0

Weather and Traffic