Residents burn feet escaping apartment fire

Residents burn feet escaping apartment fire

  • Story Highlights
  • Two people received burns in an apartment fire Tuesday morning.
  • One person was taken to the hospital.
  • The other person was treated at the scene for minor injuries. 

Two people burned their feet as they escaped an apartment fire in south Fulton County, officials said.

The blaze occurred shortly after 6 a.m. Tuesday in the 1200 block of Fairburn Road at the Westwood Glen Apartments, Fulton County deputy fire Chief Charles Stubbs told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 

Residents woke up to fire and smoke in a kitchen, Stubbs said, and ran out without their cellphones.

One person was taken to Atlanta Medical Center for treatment, Stubbs said. The other person was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Fulton County firefighter John Henderson hits hot spots at the Westwood Glen Apartments, where two residents were burned. JOHN SPINK / JSPINK@AJC.COM

“They had to beat on other apartments to get somebody to call 911,” he said. “That put us a little behind the eight ball.”

By the time fire officials arrived, the fire was too intense to get inside, according to Stubbs. 

A ladder truck was used to douse the flames shooting through the second floor and through the roof, he said.

Six to eight people are receiving help from the American Red Cross due to fire and water damage to the complex, according to officials.

“It’s always hard to see this, whether it’s Christmas or not,” Stubbs said.

Atlanta Journal-Consitution multimedia photojournalist John Spink, shares his experiences on the job for 40 years covering firefighters in Atlanta in this short documentary, coming Friday to MyAJC.com. (Video by Ryon Horne)

Weather and Traffic