‘Religious shrine’ starts Gwinnett house fire; grandmother rescued

0

‘Religious shrine’ starts Gwinnett house fire; grandmother rescued

View CaptionHide Caption
Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services
Four people were injured in a Lawrenceville fire late Tuesday night.

Four people were injured after a candle sparked a house fire in Lawrenceville on Tuesday night, Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services said.

Fire crews arrived to the Stanford Circle home shortly before midnight, Capt. Tommy Rutledge said. Three people were able to escape the home, but a grandmother was trapped inside.



Her husband had jumped from a second-story window and gotten a ladder to get his granddaughter and infant great-granddaughter out through a bathroom window, but he was unable to get his wife through the window, Rutledge said.

One crew tried to reach the trapped woman with a ground ladder, and another crew went into the house toward the bathroom. The woman was semiconscious and partially through the window when firefighters found her, Rutledge said. She was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center in critical condition.

The granddaughter and her infant child were also taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. The husband was treated on scene by paramedics and released. Three dogs were taken out of the house and “appeared to be doing fine,” Rutledge said.

The fire was started by a candle that was left lit as part of a “religious shrine,” Rutledge said. There was moderate damage to the family room, where the candle was. “Excessive smoke and heat” was sent throughout the home, Rutledge said.


Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram


Two other teens are accused in the murder.
View Comments 0

Weather and Traffic